Need a suggestion for a good heater for Long Island...

Hi everyone!! So up until recently, I thought my pool was about 20,000 gallons.. but now I think it may be closer to 30,000. Not sure if this would play into a heater recommendations. I have been looking into propane vs. air source heat pumps (no natural gas in my area). I hear from some people that a heat pump is the best way to go, but others say a heat pump wont work well because i'm in the north east. We are looking at a 4 month swim season, June - September. Average temperature in early June and late September can get as low as mid 60's at night and as high as 80's in the daytime. In between, the temps are obviously higher. I'd like to keep my water temp at 85ish degrees. I know a heat pump needs to run longer to get to the desired temperatures. First, will a heat pump do the trick in my location? Second, is the savings really as huge of a difference as sales people are saying (A heat pump costs 1/3 of what propane would cost per season) or is he just working on commission on the high ticket item (he is suggesting the Raypak R8350ti)? And last, which are maybe the top 2-3 models that I should be looking at? Thanks to anyone who responds. PS - I just pulled my cover off Sunday, and following the same advice I received from people on here last year, i'm already out of green and almost 100% clear. =) 2015-05-26 18.54.44.jpg

Another option is propane plus solar heating. After the up-front cost the solar costs nothing - other than having to run your pump during the day when electricity prices are higher. Assuming that you size it correctly and you have good sun exposure you likely don't need to run the propane heater very often once you get to mid-summer.

I live in Toronto and I have NG plus solar.

I'm biased and say that propane is the way to go. Heat pumps do reply upon the outside temperature to generate heat for your pool. Anything below 60 makes a heat pump less efficient. A heat pump will heat your pool but will take a long time to get it there initially but will be pretty reliable at keeping it there as long as you have warm enough weather. Being in the NE, weather even summer, can be unpredictable. A summer storm can bring cooler weather and thus the heat pump might have to work a bit more to get you back to temp. Your initial up front cost is more as there really should be a dedicated electrical line for the heat pump and then the cost of the heater itself is more than a gas one. Do you have any neighbors with pools and heaters?

I live in southeastern mass and I typically use the pool from Mother's day to Columbus day because I have a gas heater. To me, having a longer season is important. If you want to extend your season, a heat pump won't get the job done. I have natural gas which helps but a propane or gas heater is the only way to add some heat to a pool in a hurry. I have a 26,000 gallon pool and my Sta-Rite 400,000 btu heater adds about a degree in 45 minutes. This is my second full season with the pool but both last year and this year my pool was up to 65 degrees by the day before Mother's day after being uncovered for a few weeks so I fired up the heater and got it up to 75 degrees in a day. It's now up to 80 degrees and full of people all the time. One thing to make sure you do is keep the pool covered with a solar cover when not in use and especially at night. It makes a big difference in heat loss.

If you are only interested in maintaining a relatively high pool temp over the June to September season, a heat pump will likely maintain it for less money but it will take some time to get the temperature up to where you want it.

First... thanks everyone for the responses! For wayner that mentioned the solar... my pool is surrounded on 3 sides by trees so sun is very limited maybe 4 hours a day of direct sun falls on or around the pool. I dont think solar would have much of an impact. ps0303... Speaking of that dedicated electrical line for the heat pump that is needed... I was told by my electrician that my heat pump and regular filter pump can be on the same 220 circuit (assuming an installation of that Raypak R8350ti). Must they be on separate circuits? I know if on the same circuit, the heat pump can only run when the filter pump is on, and im okay with that. I was told the 125k btu in the Raypak is enough to raise the temp by 2-3 degrees a day easily if running 4-6 hours a day, and my filter runs more than that. Also, if outside temp drops below 60, chances are we arent going to be swimming anyway. I do have 2 neighbors that have heat pumps, and I hope to speak to them about it this weekend. diyindux, you kinda hit the nail on the head with high temp from June to September. I'm okay with a slower increase to get it there. We really are concerned with a lower annual expenses each summer. If the figures the salesperson showed me at the store are correct, the propane seems ALOT more expensive... 4x as much as the annual expense of a heat pump. That is really what is swaying my decision toward a heat pump.

Sorry, but with the price we pay for propane on long island, STAY AWAY FROM PROPANE!!! Very expensive. I have a 140k btu Hayward heat pump, and opened pool may5th...by may 7th, pool was 80. That's with daytime temps in the 60's. Go for the HP.

Thank you suzook! Nice to see input from someone so close to home!! Any idea of your model number? Is it still current? You think a Raypak is okay? Island Recreational in Commack said that if they did the installation of the Raypak 8350ti (133k btu), I get a 10 year warranty on EVERYTHING, parts and labor. It's 15 gpm min, 60 gpm max. Not sure how this compares to yours.... might this be it? Hayward HP21404T HeatPro 140,000 BTU, 230V, Titanium, Digital, Pool and Spa Heat Pump

Thank you suzook! Nice to see input from someone so close to home!! Any idea of your model number? Is it still current? You think a Raypak is okay? Island Recreational in Commack said that if they did the installation of the Raypak 8350ti (133k btu), I get a 10 year warranty on EVERYTHING, parts and labor. It's 15 gpm min, 60 gpm max. Not sure how this compares to yours.... might this be it? Hayward HP21404T HeatPro 140,000 BTU, 230V, Titanium, Digital, Pool and Spa Heat Pump

That is mine you linked...not sure about the raypack, but that warranty sounds fabulous.

We are in NJ ang keep our pool at 85. No problem. I may have to replace my heater and will definitely get a heat pump again. There is a web site that rates them for efficiency and warranty and cost accordingly. I wonder who has the best service. Lol

Hi everyone!! So up until recently, I thought my pool was about 20,000 gallons.. but now I think it may be closer to 30,000. Not sure if this would play into a heater recommendations. I have been looking into propane vs. air source heat pumps (no natural gas in my area). I hear from some people that a heat pump is the best way to go, but others say a heat pump wont work well because i'm in the north east. We are looking at a 4 month swim season, June - September. Average temperature in early June and late September can get as low as mid 60's at night and as high as 80's in the daytime. In between, the temps are obviously higher. I'd like to keep my water temp at 85ish degrees. I know a heat pump needs to run longer to get to the desired temperatures. First, will a heat pump do the trick in my location? Second, is the savings really as huge of a difference as sales people are saying (A heat pump costs 1/3 of what propane would cost per season) or is he just working on commission on the high ticket item (he is suggesting the Raypak R8350ti)? And last, which are maybe the top 2-3 models that I should be looking at? Thanks to anyone who responds. PS - I just pulled my cover off Sunday, and following the same advice I received from people on here last year, i'm already out of green and almost 100% clear. =) View attachment 37045

John, as a fellow Long Islander (Western Suffolk) I'm curious what you went with, how it has worked out for you, and if you would recommend any installation firms. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.