Pool is filled, what to adjust first

Mar 26, 2015
houma, LA
I have a 22'x54" intex pool. Finished filling it last night and I'm not sure which numbers to adjust or chemicals to add first. I tested it yesterday evening around 6pm here are my numbers

PH 7
FC 0
TA 50
CYA 0

I have 4 gallons of bleach already, and I plan on purchasing borax and stabilizer at lunch today so I can hopefully start getting the pool in shape this evening.
I'm just not sure which number to adjust first. from what I've read I'm thinking raise PH first, then chlorine, then CYA. Should I SLAM right away? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Begin by bringing pH up to the mid 7's. You can do this by adding washing soda / soda ash (not the same as baking soda). Next add 30-50 ppm of CYA. Fill an old gym sock with granular stabilizer and place it in the skimmer - give the sock an occasional squeeze to help it dissolve faster. For today, add 2 ppm chlorine using plain unscented liquid bleach. Beginning 24 hours after adding the CYA, then dose chlorine as though all the CYA you added is in the pool (refer to [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]).

Use Pool Math to determine dosing amounts needed.

Begin by bringing pH up to the mid 7's. You can do this by adding washing soda / soda ash (not the same as baking soda). Next add 30-50 ppm of CYA. Fill an old gym sock with granular stabilizer and place it in the skimmer - give the sock an occasional squeeze to help it dissolve faster. For today, add 2 ppm chlorine using plain unscented liquid bleach. Beginning 24 hours after adding the CYA, then dose chlorine as though all the CYA you added is in the pool (refer to [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]).

Use Pool Math to determine dosing amounts needed.

thanks for you advice Bo. Hope y'all didn't get hammered too bad by that weather. Just to make sure I follow, this evening rasie PH, put the sock of stabilizer in the skimmer, raise chlorine 2ppm. What should I do about the TA level?

No, we lucked out on avoiding that last night - just got more rain.

I would adjust the pH right away - no need to wait for this evening. Same goes for CYA and chlorine. You may need to check the chlorine level and replenish as needed as some of it will get consumed by sunlight, especially since there is no CYA in the pool yet.

Don't worry about the TA just yet. Let's see how stable the pH is first. TA is a buffer for pH - a fine-tuning if you will.

Last night I added borax, stabilizer, and bleach using the numbers from the pool calculator. I tested this morning and my PH went from 7 to 7.4 ( i'll raise it a little more).

I tried to test FC but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I have the K2006 test kit. I took the sample, added two dippers of the 870 as per instructions and the water turned very pink. I then started adding and swirling drops of the 871 and I got to 22 drops and nothing changed. I added stabilizer to get me to a CYA of 40, so I'm going for a Target FC around 3-4, that's the numbers I used in the pool calculator to know how much bleach to add. Can anyone tell me how many drops it should take for the FC test?

1. Leave your pH alone....it's ideal

2. If the solution turned pink, and you are using R-0871, then you have in excess of 11 ppm in your pool. How much bleach did you put in? what strength? Did you use PoolMath to calc the dosage?
I added stabilizer to get me to a CYA of 40, so I'm going for a Target FC around 3-4, that's the numbers I used in the pool calculator to know how much bleach to add.
Sounds like you overdosed. It won't be a problem because you correctly got your stabilizer(CYA) in there first. review your math on FC dosage.

According to pool math I needed 106oz of 6% bleach. I didn't catch the 6%, the bleach I have is 7.25% available chlorine.

I just plugged 7.25% into pool math, and that would have given me 88oz.

So I probably overdosed by around 20oz +/-. But I don't think that will be an issue since theres 7 of us that will be swimming often.

So 7.4 pH Should be good? TA was still 50, should I try to raise that a little?

tested the water again yesterday
Ph 7.4
CYA 60 (I think its lower, I just added too much liquid to the tube)
TA 50
FC I added 30 drops before the water went from pink to clear. I'm not really understanding how this test works. if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

There is a lot of dirt on the floor, I tried to vacuum most of it. Other than that its looking pretty good. the water is clear enough to read the writing on piece of 3/4 PVC that fell to the bottom, but for some reason when I'm under the water it looks cloudy.

We've had a lot of rain the last two days so I might have to drain some water today and check again. The bugs and stuff on the surface aren't going into the skimmer and I think its because of the water level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.