smoking a turkey

If you maintain a steady temp, why would it take longer in cold weather? 220 degrees is 220 degrees, right? I could see it taking longer to get the smoker up to temp and more wood to reach and maintain temp, but otherwise, I'd think it would be the same cooking time. Or do you let the temp drift?

Weber recommends that amount of time as they have you "smoking it "at 300 degrees. I do my turkey at these temps for two reasons. 1,the skin comes out crisper and 2,there is no reason to "low and slow"a turkey as there isn't any fat to render. I do brine my turkey.

No P in my ool said:
Weber recommends that amount of time as they have you "smoking it "at 300 degrees. I do my turkey at these temps for two reasons. 1,the skin comes out crisper and 2,there is no reason to "low and slow"a turkey as there isn't any fat to render. I do brine my turkey.

I agree on both the temp and the brining. :goodjob:

One thing I do like to mention about brining - you have to be careful about what type of container you brine in, so the salt doesn't react with it (metal pots especially). I use a big stock pot, but I also use one of the Reynolds baking bags as a liner of sorts. They are made of food-grade plastic, and are safe for brining.

The food-grade plastic is the important part, as I'm sure you know. Just wanted to mention it for anyone who might be reading this and who hasn't brined anything before.

What smoke wood do you use for your turkey? I tried apple last Christmas, and it was a big hit!

MikeInTN said:
The food-grade plastic is the important part, as I'm sure you know. Just wanted to mention it for anyone who might be reading this and who hasn't brined anything before.

What smoke wood do you use for your turkey? I tried apple last Christmas, and it was a big hit!

I use apple also plus a bit of pecan.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've used hickory in the past, and decided to try apple last year after doing a bit of research. Seems like the apple flavoring wasn't as strong as the hickory was in years past. Heck, I might smoke one using apple and one using hickory this year, and do a taste test.. :lol: I usually smoke two birds anyway, one for my family and one for my wife's family.

shayes2 said:
I used Hickory last year. Could someone explian the brining process please?

Yes, someone please explain the brining process. I am not familiar with this. Also, I will be smoking my first turkey this year on my Primo grill. Thanks for the help.

ztxm10 said:
shayes2 said:
I used Hickory last year. Could someone explian the brining process please?

Yes, someone please explain the brining process. I am not familiar with this. Also, I will be smoking my first turkey this year on my Primo grill. Thanks for the help.

Brine solution is 1 cup Kosher salt to one gallon of water. I heat the salt and some of the water in a pan on the stove to get it dissolved. Get a container that will allow you to completely submerge the bird in brine, make enough brine to cover it and store in the refrigerator overnight. I've heard you shouldn't let it go more than 12 hours, and I've also heard up to 24 hours is okay.

You can add sugar or seasonings to the brine if you like. My neighbor adds apple juice.

Thanks John T,

Is this process to make the turkey juicier, tenderer or stricly for flavoring? The reason I am asking is I have never heard of the brining process and am willing to give it a try.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.