Help with replacing liner.

sere81

Apr 30, 2013
So I'm replacing my liner (24ft round) and want to make sure I get this right this time since I made a serious error last week and thus is the reason I am having to replace it.

My pool was a green swamp after having set for 12-16 months unused. I decided that instead of trying to SLAM it I would drain and clean it with a pressure washer.

So last Tuesday it was empty and I spent half a day cleaning. Wednesday morning comes and I decide to start refilling it. So we turn the hose on and leave the house (mistake) for around 5 hours. When we get back the bead liner has come off the track about half way and there is around a foot to a foot and a half of water in the liner and on the sand base. The foam pool cove pieces are coming up floating everywhere.

So we start the draining process again. We let it dry out most of the day Thursday and reconnect the liner on the track. I let it fill slowly Friday to about 1 foot. And my wife starts filling it again about noon on Saturday. About 3 hours later the bead comes off the track again and we are right back where we were Wednesday.

So it looks like my liner has shrunk and we ordered another which should be here Thursday. My question is, is there anything we should know before we attempt to put the new one on? How do we know if we lost any sand base with the floods, is it as simple as measuring all around the pool?

First thing I'd say on things you should know is what you already know... Don't drain the pool! :lol:

Ok, now that we have that out of the way, remove the old liner. Get all your foam cove pieces n make sure they are all in good shape. You can get this spray adhesive n spray the back sides to get them to stick. As far as the bottom goes, lay a 4ft level on it to see if there are high n,low spots and fix them. Once you get your liner, let it lay in the Sun to get pliable. And you'll start at the seam far away from the return and skimmer. Make sure it straight up n down plumb and attach the liner like the numbers on a clock 12, 3, 6, 9 and then 1, 4, 7, 10 til it's all on. Fill the pool. A couple inches and start working the wrinkles out.

1. Use a shop vac at the skimmer hole ( all taped up, and return hole taped up ) to suck all the air out and work wrinkles as needed ( once all nice and flat start filling with water )
2. put half an inch of water in the pool and get on your hands and knees and start pushing the wrinkles out to the edges ( this is what I did as I did not want to burn up my vac )

few more tips:
When you cut your old liner out... cut it like a big pizza! GO almost all the way to the top. then once it's all sliced up, you can go around the top with a utility knife and cut a few inches from the top... roll it up and put it in trash bags. then take your top rails off and your coping.
HIRE A WATER TRUCK! you'll burn out your well pump ( or run 2 hrs on 2 hrs off )
If your on city water great, but check your rates, water truck will either be same price or cheaper ( it was cheaper in my area ) Ask them to shock the water before they deliver if they pull it from a lake or pond so you dont have creepy crawlys right off the bat ( I know nobody here likes shock, but if i can get 10k gallons of water delivered all pre treated and crystal clear from a pond i'd rather do that then have it in my pool )
Take your time, take breaks, dont rush. I started at 9am and didnt finish till about 5. Had some breaks, had some dinner, had some beers.
Dont cut your skimmer and return holes until the water is about 2 inches under the skimmer/return valve. This will insure your liner is stretched and seated properly and make everything look even. I put a few screws in, cut my liner in the skimmer, removed... then put my silicone gasket around ( mine goes ontop of liner on inside and on top of pool wall on the outside ) then screw it all down tight.
If your gaskets look bad go to the pool store and get new ones, saves you trouble later and they are cheap ( return valve gasket set was 5$ )
Do this on a bright sunny day, unbox and unwrap your liner and let it sit in the sun for a few min before you start hanging it on the wall. makes things much easier.
This is the time to fix ANYTHING that needs fixing. Rusty spot on pool wall? Wire brush, POR rust converter, then paint to match pool color.
To get in and out of pool? use an aluminum or wood step ladder... BUT put some wood inside so your not making marks on the sand floor. once the liner is in you'll have to get creative on getting in and out ( maybe duct tape some bath towels around the legs and feet so you dont make divits in the floor )

If I had to do mine all over again These would be the tips I would follow to make a smooth install. 2 reasonably mechanically inclined and somewhat fit individuals can accomplish this in 1 day with no issues.

Just some tips that I discovered doing mine this weekend.

If you have the beaded receiver you won't have to remove the top rails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.