Lowering TA

May 17, 2015
Greenfield/In
I have been following pool school and pool math on starting up my new pool. Everything is going great. I still have slightly cloudy water from my well but its improving with every vac and brush. I have been working on lowering TA. Add MA to 7.2 and aerate to 7.8 and repeat. Its a slow process but my numbers are going the right direction. 270 at start 230 now. I want to get borates in eventually. I was looking thru the pool store stuff they gave me and found pH minus. It has direction for lowering TA. I believe in the process I am doing. But why are the instruction so different? Wouldn't that just slam my pH thru the floor? It is sodium bisulfate. Or should I use it instead of buying more MA?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1432730739514.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1432730739514.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 46
We do it through a controls process of lowering pH and raising it through aeration. As with everything we do here it's very methodical and controlled. In this case precisely to prevent slamming down the pH. It's not the way to do it. You can use that up, but I strongly suggest sticking with 31% MA in the future to avoid adding Sulfates to your pool.

You say you are cloudy, so what else has been going on to cause that? We're you doing a SLAM procedure?

After reading pool school a bunch of times I just made it a goal for all the added benefits.
I would suggest going an entire season with a normal TFP well balanced pool before thinking about Borates. You really should learn the nuances of your pool before adding an additional optional dimension.

No I believe its just from my well water and having a new setup. My filter is more like a strainer right now. I ordered a slime bag because I feel I can't catch all the debris and vac to waste and and adding more well water seems like a never ending process. I have passed a over night loss tests and I believe I'm doing it right. Any advice? I have a lot to learn.

The water is clearer this evening. I will vac and brush again. I may do another oclt tonight. Last nights # before adding anything.
FC 3
CC .5
TA 230
CH 325
PH 7.2

You guys are pros! I have already learned so much. Am I missing something?

The water is clearer this evening. I will vac and brush again. I may do another oclt tonight. Last nights # before adding anything.
FC 3
CC .5
TA 230
CH 325
PH 7.2

You guys are pros! I have already learned so much. Am I missing something?

I am a bit confused. Why is your FC so low and you don't have clear water?
Did you pass all of the SLAM criteria? I know you said you passed OLCT. Part of passing the SLAM is also clear water.

I guess I'm confused. I just finished adding cya to get to 30. Am waiting week to test. Just assuming 30. I have been adding chlorine to get to 5. That reading was 24 hours after last chlorine addition. My water is clear with piles of brown dusty stuff on the floor. I have been vacuuming and brushing the sides because I thought it was from all the hard week water I used to fill. When I vacuum it seems to just get blown back in the pool making the pool cloudy. I wasn't wanting to vac to waste because I will have to add more hard water. Would a picture help? I'm sorry if I am confusing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are correct you don't test for 1 week. However since you targeted 30 CYA we are going to assume it is working its way up to 30 and you add according to a level of CYA 30

The reason you wait to check is that it will not show up on the test until a week later. It has to disolve and circulate to build up before you test.

I am not sure why you are confused. I read your question as why am I treating my CYA as 30 if I don't test it for a week. You have to keep your FC between 2 and 4. Don't let it drop below 2. When you are at 3 you should add to get it back to 4.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

- - - Updated - - -

I just went back and read your other posts. I was confused for a minute or two. Sorry about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes a picture would help. You can upload it to photobucket and then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.