Never ending green pool

May 27, 2015
Pinckney, MI
Hello, I have been lurking in the forums for a few years now, but just registered so I could post this thread. I am working on my brother-in-law's in ground pool (about 15,000 gal). it has a vinyl liner around the sides but feels like the bottom might be concrete. He just bought the house this winter and the pool has not been open for a couple years. When he removed the cover, it was discovered that it was torn and a whole bunch of leaves and stuff had gone into the pool over the past couple years. Well silly me, I said I would help when he asked me what to do, I felt pretty confident in the SLAM and have used the "green swamp to blue oasis" sticky to clear up my pool in the past with good success.

So on Sunday when I arrived to start helping him get it ready the pool looked like a massive glass of tea. The color was dark brown but the clarity of the undisturbed water was pretty good. We got the pump fired up and added enough chlorine to get up to shock levels. We started cleaning the leaves and debris out of the pool and could see the floaters and we could actually see the water color turn to a grayish green. We continued to check and hold the chlorine level until it became too dark to see anymore. We did not leave the pump going because the pump was needing to be backflushed about every 2 hours.

Monday morning he fired the pump back up and continued the chlorine checking and topping off, but all my B-I-L has to test with are test strips so he was not able to get a good level throughout the day, but he assures me it never dropped below 10 between the morning and when I arrived in the afternoon. When I got there it was around 33ppm free chlorine but the pool was still greeen. I made a couple checks and let the chlorine com down to around 20 before we began adding more. He continued the routing and this time was able to allow the pump to run overnight.

On tuesday, He added chlorine in the morning before work and when I showed up around 4:30 in the evening the level was down to about 2ppm. I shocked again and after 1 hr it was at 33ppm. He added two more gallons before bed last night and this morning I tested it before work and the level was still over 30ppm, i stopped putting drops in because I am starting to run out of them....

Ok, so here is the dilemma, the pool is still as green or greener than it has been the entire time. We don't seem to be making any headway on this and I am curious where we are going awry. The grayish hue has gone away and it is now a definite green color and the pool pump can run all night and only gain a couple PSI. We can barely see the third step in the pool and I am not sure why it seems to be going backwards.

Last night when the levels had dropped I tested all the levels again and they were as follows;

FC 2ppm
PH 7.2
TA 240
CYA not detected.

Any help is greatly appreciated, everyone keeps telling us to pump it out and start from scratch, but my B-I-L and I think we can get it this way and really want to prove everyone else wrong. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

What kind of filter is it? You need a small amount of CYA to protect the FC during the day. It's not uncommon for it too look worse before it gets better- you need to brush every day because there can be spots of live algae at the bottom that aren't getting touched by the chlorine and that can affect clarity.

Which kit are you using?

I've never heard of a vinyl liner wall/concrete bottom. More likely the walls are some kind of fiberglass.

The key to the SLAM process is not to let the FC drop - so try to keep consistent. I just cleared an 18000 pool with a sand filter and it took a full 7 days, unusually long but every pool is unique.

Welcome to TFP!

You mention that your BIL is using test strips for testing. When you got involved in helping him get the pool back into shape, did you bring your test kit or are you using his test strips for testing? From reading your post, there's several things that could be going on here. But, before jumping to conclusions, we'd like to get a better feel for your testing methods and tools.

Another question: What is the source of the fill water for this pool...municipal (city) water or well water?

In the meantime, manually remove as much debris as possible from the pool.

Sspence, while reading your thread, the only thing I noticed was "test strips" If that is all you are using, you will be advised many times by the TFP crew to obtain your own test kit. See a link below for the TF-100 kit. With out it, you are more than likely not meeting the minimum chlorine requirements needed to maintain SLAM (link below) according the your chlorine/CYA comparison (chart link below). You MUST have your own test kit as recommended by TFP. Also, please modify your profile signature settings to include all of the pool information for others to assist. Begin reading-up on the links below and you'll get all the help you need here.

Thanks for the prompt replies...

The filter is a sand filter, hayward brand, but I am not sure the exact model.
I bring my test kit over whenever I stop by. It is a brand new (Just got it last week, go figure) Taylor k-2006 and I already need to reorder the chlorine reagant.
The fill water is from a well but it does seem to be plumbed through the water softener.

I did not fill in the signature yet because I did not want to get the information for my B-I-L's pool mixed up with my pool information. I will definitely go back and fill it in here soon though.

Thanks again!

Ok, here is today's quick update. I can smell the chlorine in the pool from 50 ft away. The pool is still very green. I ran out of the drops for the chlorine test, they are on order but not due in until tomorrow, but when i put the two scoops of powder in the sample it turned very deep red. I know this is not much to work with, sorry.

The filter does not seem to be building pressure nearly as fast as it had been at the start, just a couple psi overnight. I have noticed foam in my basket strainer, not the greenish yellow you see when dealing with algae, but nice and white like a bubble bath. Not sure if that is a clue or not but just something I noticed.

Again, any ideas are welcome and thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.