Second Year with TFP. Cloudy Water

jkaba

Jul 7, 2014
Hays, KS
Hello all,

I opened May 2nd, to a light green pool. Decided to SLAM, and took FC to 28 for several days. Water cleared considerably, with just a little cloudiness. Here are my numbers on May 4th.

PF 7.6
FC 25
CC <.5
TA 140
CYA 70

Left town for a week, and returned to the same level of cloudiness. I have a SWG, and had it set pretty low to like 20% while I was gone. I have cleaned the pool about 3 times since then, and have out most of the sediment and leaves. Backwashed filter and have been maintaining my numbers in the preferred range, but still hasn't gotten as clear as I had it last year. I started thinking filtration, and so I picked up some DE powder from the pool store and put about 4 cups into my skimmer hoping that it will help filter out some of the finer particles. I also thought I'd do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if I am dropping FC.
My numbers today

PH 7.7
FC 22
CC <.5
TA 115
CYA 70
CH 700

Calcium Hardness has always been high with my pool since my source water tests at 550, but has not been too much of an issue in the past.

Yep...you need to finish the SLAM Process until these criteria are met:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Some of the cloudiness may be caused by dead algae. It simply needs to be filtered out, so leave the pump running until the water clears. Keep an eye on the filter pressure and backwash/clean if needed. We recommend backwashing or cleaning the filter when filter pressure rises 25% from the starting pressure of a clean filter .

Hello all,

I opened May 2nd, to a light green pool. Decided to SLAM, and took FC to 28 for several days. Water cleared considerably, with just a little cloudiness. Here are my numbers on May 4th.

PF 7.6
FC 25
CC <.5
TA 140
CYA 70

Left town for a week, and returned to the same level of cloudiness. I have a SWG, and had it set pretty low to like 20% while I was gone. I have cleaned the pool about 3 times since then, and have out most of the sediment and leaves. Backwashed filter and have been maintaining my numbers in the preferred range, but still hasn't gotten as clear as I had it last year. I started thinking filtration, and so I picked up some DE powder from the pool store and put about 4 cups into my skimmer hoping that it will help filter out some of the finer particles. I also thought I'd do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if I am dropping FC.
My numbers today

PH 7.7
FC 22
CC <.5
TA 115
CYA 70
CH 700

Calcium Hardness has always been high with my pool since my source water tests at 550, but has not been too much of an issue in the past.

Update: 5/27/15
Checked FC this morning and its still at 22, so passed OCLT, and combined less than .5, only thing missing is clear water.

TA 115
CYA 70
CH 700

That's alot of 'stuff' in the water. I wouldn't expect it to be Crater Lake clear (tm) at that level of dissolved solids, but you should easily be able to see bottom and make out any intake at the deep end.

What kind of filter do you have ?

Cardano

Hayward S244T Sand Filter.

Put in a couple cups of DE Powder yesterday to see if that will help the filtration. I probably should check my sand, but just purchased this unit last year and had good luck with it til I closed it last fall, so shouldn't be that unless I may have backwashed some sand while dropping my water level down at closing, or some other reason that my sand is not filtering correctly.

Went home at lunch and water is still cloudy. Its looking better, and I can see the bottom easily, but just not sparkling like it has in years past, so I threw in bleach and took it to FC 29+, and turned the SWG to 80%. Will let it run 29+ for the rest of the week and see if it clears up.

Will keep you posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6-4-15 Update: I have now been SLAMMING my pool for a week, keeping the FC at 29+. Testing yesterday gave me the values:

PH 7.7
FC 32
CC <.5
TA 130
CYA 70
CH 700

Water is clear, however not crystal clear like it was all of last year. I could read the writing on my drain cover last year. It seems to have a slight haze to it so far this year. Not sure what to do to get it completely clear.

Pool.jpg

Appears that even with such an aggressive FC level, the cc is right on the edge - perhaps still doing a little battle with any remaining algae. Maintain and be patient. You appear to be seeing a little improvement each day, so that's good. With constant circulation, filtering, and agitation around the pool hopefully you'll be reading the letters on that drain again soon. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.