Measuring Pitcher Suggestions - Do i even need one

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
All,

i am starting to get the hang of this TFP method, but have a question... Pool math says, hey add 1.2 jugs or 1 gallon and 2 cups. Has anyone gone out and bought a 1 gallon graduated pitcher? Hard to eyeball a 0.2 of a jug. Does it matter if I go 0.4 or 0.1?

Let me take an extreme approach. Say PM says add 1.2 jugs, and I add 5 jugs, I assume I just wasted a bunch of chlorine as it will evaporate out of the water before being useful, but say PM says 1.2 and i put in 1.5 did I waste the 0.3?

I usually estimate to the nearest 1/4 jug ... good enough in a pool your size.

BTW, chlorine does not evaporate. It is true though that if you raise the FC well above the target levels for your CYA, you will lose more ppm of FC to the sun. a simplified way to think about it is that your CYA level sets the % of FC that is lost to the sun each day. So the higher the FC level the more ppm you will lose.

I have a 2.5 cup measuring cup just for the pool. I keep it with my chlorine. I go by ounces. Of course I do tend to go over as some of it over spills but that is fine with me. Like stated above better to go a little high than too low.

OH and do NOT use the cup your use to put chlorine in as the cup to take water out to test. Do not ask me how I know :( LOL I wondered why my FC was sooooooooo high!

Kim

I guess I'm a bit on the OCD side when it comes to measuring ingredients, so I have 32oz and 64oz acrylic measuring cups. You can get these at restaurant supply houses (brick & mortar or online). To prevent cross-contamination with cups used to measure out food, we have this rule at our house...Glass cups are for food only. If it's not glass, it doesn't get used for measuring out food.

I too go by cups/oz instead of jugs or quarts or whatever. I have a 8 cup container that i use. And I can be a perfect example for you. My CYA is 35 and my FC target is 4. I try to stay above 3 and below 5. If I get up to lets say 6...I'll be back at 4 by 8pm. BUT, then i'll stay at 4 for another day or maybe even 2 with no swimmers. My magic number is between 3 and 4. It tends to stay right around that number for the most part. If I go high, I waste. So when I finally drop to 3, i shoot for 4.5 or 5. Which in my case is usually about 3-3.5 cups or 30-35ish oz. And now that i have this system down pretty well. I only have to add that every other day....Sometimes I can go 3 days. I set it at 5 on Wednesday night.....I was at 3 again on Saturday....I added 3 cups on Sat night. Tested last night....I was at 4. Ive added roughly 6 cups of bleach in 6 days.

And i'll tell ya....They were not EXACT cups either. I had a point when I started this rant.....But i'm not real sure what it was....lol But I hope it helped!!!! Good Luck

I guess I'm a bit on the OCD side when it comes to measuring ingredients, so I have 32oz and 64oz acrylic measuring cups. You can get these at restaurant supply houses (brick & mortar or online). To prevent cross-contamination with cups used to measure out food, we have this rule at our house...Glass cups are for food only. If it's not glass, it doesn't get used for measuring out food.

I'm with Bo. I like to measure even though I know now pretty well the exact outcome of what I dose. Most of my additions are in the 60-100oz range, but I tweak, and like to be precise. Can't help it. It's a little OCD and background for me. I have an old one gallon graduated pitcher that gets used for nothing else except pool chems and it stays out in the pool chem dilution bucket. No chance of it going inside for use on anything else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like to measure my doses fairly closely. I grabbed a plastic pitcher and put a piece of shipping tape on it and then took a measuring cup and water and kept dumping 8oz increments and marking it manually on the tape. Then I covered that piece of tape with another to keep it from smearing. I don't know how long the tape will last, at the same time, I completely dunk and rinse the pitcher and it seems to be holding fine for now. I suspect I'll end up grabbing an etching tool at some point and making the marks permanent. For now it works fine though.

Pitcher.jpg

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
The reason I don't is my pool uses 1 gal of Bleach every other day with normal swimming in the summer and 1 every day with a pool party. Acid is once a week summertime. My cup for the baking soda is 16oz and I usually add 64 at a time which is approx 10 ppm.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

I too go by cups/oz instead of jugs or quarts or whatever. I have a 8 cup container that i use. And I can be a perfect example for you. My CYA is 35 and my FC target is 4. I try to stay above 3 and below 5. If I get up to lets say 6...I'll be back at 4 by 8pm. BUT, then i'll stay at 4 for another day or maybe even 2 with no swimmers. My magic number is between 3 and 4. It tends to stay right around that number for the most part. If I go high, I waste. So when I finally drop to 3, i shoot for 4.5 or 5. Which in my case is usually about 3-3.5 cups or 30-35ish oz. And now that i have this system down pretty well. I only have to add that every other day....Sometimes I can go 3 days. I set it at 5 on Wednesday night.....I was at 3 again on Saturday....I added 3 cups on Sat night. Tested last night....I was at 4. Ive added roughly 6 cups of bleach in 6 days.

And i'll tell ya....They were not EXACT cups either. I had a point when I started this rant.....But i'm not real sure what it was....lol But I hope it helped!!!! Good Luck

6 cups in 6 days is amazing. How many gallons is your pool. No, 15,000

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I am lookin for, thx

- - - Updated - - -

I like to measure my doses fairly closely. I grabbed a plastic pitcher and put a piece of shipping tape on it and then took a measuring cup and water and kept dumping 8oz increments and marking it manually on the tape. Then I covered that piece of tape with another to keep it from smearing. I don't know how long the tape will last, at the same time, I completely dunk and rinse the pitcher and it seems to be holding fine for now. I suspect I'll end up grabbing an etching tool at some point and making the marks permanent. For now it works fine though.

View attachment 37055

This is what I was thinking of doing until I say the link above

I bought a measuring cup at ikea for pool use. I may have used it twice. I find it easier to eyeball chlorine amounts (usually 1/2 gal increments). Acid fumes are too nasty to take time to measure, so that's estimated at a slow pour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.