1st Salt Purchase

You will put salt in the pool once to bring it up to the reccomended level. After that you will need no more salt. Do you know the volume of your pool?

Salt stays in the pool. It doesn't evaporate or get used up. The only way you need to add salt is due to splash out or draining water.

You will put salt in the pool once to bring it up to the reccomended level. After that you will need no more salt. Do you know the volume of your pool?

Salt stays in the pool. It doesn't evaporate or get used up. The only way you need to add salt is due to splash out or draining water.
Do you know how many bags I need? My pool is 27k gallons. Also, can you use Diamond Crystal Salt Pellets instead? They are $1.50 cheaper per bag.

Shop Diamond Crystal 40-lbs Salt Pellets at Lowes.com

Pool math will tell you exactly how much as well as how much water your pool may have based on dimensions.
If you actually have 27000 gallon pool with NO salt- pool math says 737 pounds. I'd go 2/3rds brush/ circulate for 24 hours test then add.

Pool math will tell you exactly how much as well as how much water your pool may have based on dimensions.
If you actually have 27000 gallon pool with NO salt- pool math says 737 pounds. I'd go 2/3rds brush/ circulate for 24 hours test then add.
Sounds like 20 bags should cover it then. I did some searching online and in this forum, but found no definite answer on using "Diamond Crystal 40-lbs Salt Pellets". Hopefully they'll work OK.

Looks like my Lowes coupon expired ay midnight in some other country. No need to go with lowes then.

It seems like many people here refer to "solar salt" at Lowes/Home Depot ubiquitously. There are several brands at different prices. This Diamond Crystals Solar Naturals Extra-Coarse Water Softening Salt is the cheapest Home Depot carries, and according to several threads here, some people are using it. Ok for use? I don't see any additives in the ingredients list.

solar%2Bsalt%2Bblue.PNG

Yes, pool salt or solar salt from lowes, home depot or the pool store is fine. Use PoolMath to calculate how many gallons your pool is and then how much salt you need to get it to the recommended PPM for your SWG, most SWG want salt somewhere between 2800 ppm and 4000 ppm. Your owners manual will tell you the ideal number. Do NOT assume your salt level is 0 in your pool. Lots of things add salt to pools over time.

Yes, pool salt or solar salt from lowes, home depot or the pool store is fine. Use PoolMath to calculate how many gallons your pool is and then how much salt you need to get it to the recommended PPM for your SWG, most SWG want salt somewhere between 2800 ppm and 4000 ppm. Your owners manual will tell you the ideal number. Do NOT assume your salt level is 0 in your pool. Lots of things add salt to pools over time.
Good deal, thanks. I can get those blue bags for $3.50 a piece right now, so I'll stock up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be sure to test your water before adding the salt. Lots of municipal supplies have a fair amount of salt to start and you can end up with too much salt if you base your calculations on salt-free water to start.

That is exactly the salt i use. You are good! Good advice in the above post. My pool builder was going to add way to much salt until I stopped him and showed him how much salt was already in the water. If I remember right it was almost 1000 ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.