Sub Pannel Question

Well ... not exactly sure what kind of information you are looking for.
Get one with enough slots to have all the breakers you need? :D
I am not aware of any special requirements ... other than needing to float the neutral.

I did my own as well and went with the easy touch 4 as its a computer system for the each's and a 150amp panel. I ran it 100 ft out from the house main panel. Kind of expensive if you buy only it, but I got a deal by purchasing pump/ filter and Easytouch from same company- it also increased the warranty to 3 years.

Pictures in this post: Pentair Intellichlor IC40 no Power!!

I think mine is SquareD. Run a subpanel with more amp capacity than you think you need, doesn't cost near as much to upsize now as it does to buy it again.

I just installed a panel to my new pool pad.
Picked up an outdoor panel (Eaton 125 amp), $25
Ran 6guage wires ($260) off a double pole 60 amp ($15) breaker in house main panel
One stipulation, if you want to be 'to code' you need to run the individual THHN wires and the ground needs to be insulated (all wires in conduit). Alternatively you can get the UF 'romex' type cable that is rated for outdoors, but the ground isn't insulated so you won't be 'to code'. The UF romex does not require conduit, but still should be 24" minimum deep.

Rented a trencher for $75 and buried it the 24".

Made the connections & wired a 15amp GFCI outlet and a Intermatic T104 timer for my pump.
Yeah, its old fashioned compared to the new fancy touch screen automation, but its ok for me.

Panel: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Cutler-Hammer-125-Amp-6-Space-12-Circuit-Outdoor-Main-Lug-Load-Center-BR612L125RP/100164090

* Picture of my pool pad with place to hang panel that is semi weather proof, stole idea from another TFP member (Thanks CowboyCasey). This is prior to the sub panel install, I will try and get a recent pic.

That is a nice looking pad :) looks like you used 2x12's, nice..

I can say it works really good at keeping water off the equipment, we have had 7 inches of rain in the last week and most of the stand stayed dry..

I just installed a panel to my new pool pad.
Picked up an outdoor panel (Eaton 125 amp), $25
Ran 6guage wires ($260) off a double pole 60 amp ($15) breaker in house main panel
One stipulation, if you want to be 'to code' you need to run the individual THHN wires and the ground needs to be insulated (all wires in conduit). Alternatively you can get the UF 'romex' type cable that is rated for outdoors, but the ground isn't insulated so you won't be 'to code'. The UF romex does not require conduit, but still should be 24" minimum deep.

DW, I am going to "Pick Nits" here a little. You should have used THWN wire as it is rated for wet applications as THHN is not. Any wire outside of a structure is considered a wet location even inside conduit. However, Most THHN is also dual rated as THWN too. It will be marked as such if it is.

THWN stands for "Thermoplastic Heat and Water-resistant Nylon-coated

THHN stands for "Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon-coated

Good choice on the panel. However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)

DW, I am going to "Pick Nits" here a little. You should have used THWN wire as it is rated for wet applications as THHN is not. Any wire outside of a structure is considered a wet location even inside conduit. However, Most THHN is also dual rated as THWN too. It will be marked as such if it is.

THWN stands for "Thermoplastic Heat and Water-resistant Nylon-coated

THHN stands for "Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon-coated

Good choice on the panel. However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)

hmmm, what is this disconnect breaker, 6 throw rule? does that look like a lever on the outside to disconnect power to the box? is it better to have a lever type disconnect or just a breaker? looking for safety if something was to happen...

Thanks for teaching :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This whole thing gets to be a bit of a grey area depending on how the inspecting authority in that area views that particular sub-panel. Where I am, that panel will be considered a separate structure and will have to follow that rule. Some jurisdictions don't consider a sub panel at a pool as a separate structure and may not enforce the 6 throw rule.

However, over 6 breakers in the box and you need to have a disconnect breaker in the box as well (6 throw rule)

That code section refers to disconnect for the SERVICE, not a panel. In other words, to disconnect the entire service, there cant be more than 6 throws of a breaker. So your main panel has to have a single disconnect. The subanel could have 40 breakers, but there's only one disconnect, and thats the ONE breaker in the main that feeds the subpanel.
Of course you can get an inspector thats stupid and makes you have a main throw in a subpanel. If it is their requirement they have be able to show you where it is at in their rules. Not just because that's "not allowed in my town."

As far as THHN vs THWN wire. Most of the wire sold on roles that you buy by the foot at the big box stores are rated for both. Just make sure and check when you buy it.

That code section refers to disconnect for the SERVICE, not a panel. In other words, to disconnect the entire service, there cant be more than 6 throws of a breaker. So your main panel has to have a single disconnect. The subanel could have 40 breakers, but there's only one disconnect, and thats the ONE breaker in the main that feeds the subpanel.
Of course you can get an inspector thats stupid and makes you have a main throw in a subpanel. If it is their requirement they have be able to show you where it is at in their rules. Not just because that's "not allowed in my town."

As far as THHN vs THWN wire. Most of the wire sold on roles that you buy by the foot at the big box stores are rated for both. Just make sure and check when you buy it.

True. The whole thing comes down as to how the AHJ in that area views that particular "sub panel". It can be viewed as either a feeder or a service. If it is considered a service (separate structure) then the rule will apply.

As BK mentions, the authority in the area may have rules over and above what the code cycle they have adopted has, but they need to have it in writing.

Thanks, I think I am going to use a disconnect like this, I have 1 on my hot tub and it works great... it is rated at 60 Amps and that is all I am running out to the pool..

Thanks for the help :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.