Sight glass squirting water

Rvander

May 26, 2015
Rochester New York
I think I caused my own problem, but not sure how to fix. I replaced the spider web gasket ( including a plastic plunger part that holds the gasket) and now when I run the pool on waste or backwash I get water squirting out of the three little holes (which I never noticed before) in the end if the sight glass. Additionally when I turn the pump off I can hear the valve loosing suction through these same holes, and if I put my thumb over them it holds pressure. Did I put something back together wrong, or did fixing one problem cause another? The valve is a pentair 6 way that is about 15 year old.

It's a vented sight glass. They're designed to break suction for hard plumbed waste lines. They occasionally begin leaking. I don't like them. However, it only happens on waste and can generally be ignored. You can replace the sight glass with a non-vented type if you like.

I have the same sight glass and it's always leaked a little. As James said, it's not a problem as it's designed to be a vacuum break for hard piped backwash lines (which mine is) Whenever I shut off the pump at the end of backwash it always sucks air in to allow the line to drain.

I recommend just putting up with it and not worrying about it.

If you really want to you can buy a replacement. It's a Pentair Valve Sight Glass #272550
Or you could try to remove and clean the little rubber flapper that's inside the site glass and see if it seals then.

Ok, great input everyone, I will try and see if I can clean it and if not then I will replace it because it also looses pressure when on filter and the timer shuts the pump off. Must have just been coincidence on timing that it happened when I changed the gasket.

The sight glass should have nothing to do with losing water when in filter mode. In fact, it should be completely empty and shutting off the pump should not cause it to lose prime. It sounds like you have a spider gasket problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.