Hello from Arkansas

May 26, 2015
Little Rock
Hello everyone. I've been lurking since mid last summer and have learned SO MUCH. No more pool store for me. We've had some sort of above ground pool for many years, and while fun, it has always been a PAIN to manage. After reading through pool school and understanding some of the underlying chemistry things got much better. The wife said the pool has never looked better. Last year was the final season for our 16x16 AG Intex and while I still have pool pains, we got another that went up this past weekend. It's 18x9x52 Intex Ultra Frame that is almost finished filling up. A SWG should be here tomorrow, but I'd like to get the chemistry started tonight. Any recommendations on what chems to start with? I have lots of left overs from the pool store folks, but don't know which to start with to open a new pool. In the past I just followed their guides.

If I recall it's balance the TA, PH and CH before Chlorine??

If this should be in another category let me know and I'll move it.

Current
Temp = 73
FC=0
CC=0
PH=7.2
TA=20
CH=50
CYA=0

Old Chem on hand
20+ pounds Dichloro granular
30+ lbs 3" TirChloro tabs
@5lbs Soda Ash
1 lbs Hardness Plus
1 gal 10% Liquid Bleach
2.5 gal Muriatic Acid
1 lb PH minus - Sodium Bisulfate
2 lbs Baking Soda
2 lbs 20 Mule Borax

Hi jkm!
Welcome to TFP and man..Kudos to you on reading pool school, having a good test kit and posting up some good numbers !! excellent!
:goodjob:

1st question.
Do you know how to use pool math? Its pretty easy.
Enter Gallons in teh VOlume Box at top
In the boxes on the left side, enter your test result
In the box to the right of that, enter your recommended level and then click calculate. Pool Math will tell you how much of something to add.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Pool School - Recommended Levels

1st, get some Chlorine in the Pool, your target right now needs to be 2ppm . FOr now, you can use Dichlor for that if you just have to, but I would prefer you use bleach!
Use pool math to tell you how much.

Next you need to get some Stabilizer and Conditioner (a.k.a. CYA) into the pool pretty quick This is prevent your chlorine from being burned off by the sun so fast.
Add it in steps. Step 1 to get you to about 50ppm, then wait a few days and test. Then add a bit more to get you to about 70 which is right for a SWG pool.

Next, you need to raise your TA to about 60 using Baking Soda (2 lbs isnt going to be enough). Use Pool Math to tell you how much

Your pH is good
Your CH is good (no need for CH in a vinyl pool, just dont let it get ridiculously high, like +500.

Thanks Divin Dave! I used the pool calc all last year. I just didn't know which level to raise first with a fresh start. I had thought to start with the TA, but I'll start with the dichlor for the chlorine and it will start to add CYA too.

Welcome to TFP!

If I recall it's balance the TA, PH and CH before Chlorine??
Actually, you would normally begin by adjusting the pH, but yours is good for now.

Next is to add chlorine and CYA. Target an initial CYA level of 30-50 ppm which we recommend adding using the granular CYA-in-a-sock method. Fill the sock with the required amount of CYA to get you to into the 30-50 ppm range (see Pool Math for dosing amounts) and place the sock in the skimmer. For the first day, add 2 ppm FC. Beginning the following day, dose according to the amount of CYA you added (see Chlorine CYA Chart). Note that once you get your SWG, you will need to increase the CYA to 70-80 ppm. Be aware that it may take up to a week for CYA to appear in test results, so don't be tempted to overdose.

After that, adjust TA to at least 60 using baking soda - again refer to Pool Math for dosing amounts.