Time for a New Multi-Port Valve/Spider Gasket?

wett

Jul 10, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
So last year was the first year in our new house with a pool, and I spent much of the season last summer chasing down various leaks in the plumbing as a result of lengthy neglect by the former owner (house was a rental for a number of years). I replaced all the plumbing (one suction side, one return). The filter is an old Hayward DE - the kind that they no longer make the metal clamp for anymore. It's pretty beat up, and though I may replace it, I could probably squeeze another season or two out of it if I treat it nicely.

But here's my question. I don't know what kind of abuse was thrown at this multi-port, but it's clear the gasket is thrashed. I've been trying to remove it, but it appears to have been glued in place and is proving to be a real pain to remove. Also, there appears to be some plastic missing inside the multi-port, and what's there is brittle. Without question I need a new spider gasket, but I'm wondering if at this point it makes sense just to replace the whole thing. Or, assuming I can remove the gasket, is the valve still serviceable in this condition (with the missing plastic)? Here are some photos:

The simplest way to remove the old gasket is with a large screw driver or small putty knife that has been cut down to exactly match the width of the channel the gasket goes in and then scrape it out of there. Even then it is a bit of a pain. Anyway, if you can get the old gasket out and clean up those surfaces there is some life left in the valve. Replacing the whole thing also make sense, it doesn't have all that much longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.