Moving a Hot Tub

Depends on the tub. Most are shipped with the equipment end down. Some manufacturers also mount 2x4's to the frame of the tub to create a foot for it to stand on. If you take the front panel off there may be some sturdy posts that you can screw a frame into and then flip it up onto that. You won't damage the equipment if it is securely held in place. If the pumps are mounted to rotten wood then go ahead and remove them first.

I got mine about 11/2 years ago, also used. Mine was moved by dolly on it's side but laid flat on the truck. I had professional hot tub movers do the moving. They did have me sign a wavier not holding them responsible if it fell apart.

Mine was shipped flat and was rolled on a piano type dolly into the backyard on it's side. The job was done by three large Samoan's who were very good at their job. My tub is an 8" foot one and weighs just over 1000 lbs empty.

I have photos of the job in progress if you're interested.

After looking at them I realize I don't have any of them actually moving it on the piano dolly. I hope what I do have is helpfull. The actual rolling of the tub on the dolly wasn't very exciting which is probably why I didn't take any pictures

Notice that they used a piece of wood at the bottom pivot point that spans the entire width. I would guess that this spreads the load of the tub across the whole tub edge as they tip it down.

All of these guys were big Somoans that were at least 250# and obviously were good at moving spas. I always enjoy watching people who are good at what they do, even if it's something like moving a spa.

138_3816.jpg

138_3818.jpg

138_3820.jpg

138_3823.jpg

138_3824.jpg

We just moved a spa actually. Got it used and it was already mostly apart. The spa pack(pump and heater) were removed and the skirt was taken off.

We rented a u-Haul trailer (5'x9') for the 6' x 7.5' spa. We flipped it upside down and set one side of the top of it in the trailer, and leaned the other side against the top railing. Drove 20 miles home this way with no damage to the tub. I'd say the spa is 300-400 lbs without skirt or pump.

HTH,
Adam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.