Need newbie help again...

Kimnlogan

May 20, 2015
Springfield, IL
Ok... we started with a swamp and were making some progress (nice blue but very cloudy by last Friday)when we had to leave for the weekend etc... I ordered my test kit TF-100 and have it in hand now (instructions would have been nice though... I found them here but IN the kit would be handy).

The pool survived the weekend with my step-son backwashing it twice a day and adding a gallon of 8.24% bleach each evening. He did turn the pump off at night since we are needing to backwash so often still.

When we got home we had lost about 4in of water but still had some FC. We found a tiny leak in the hose from the filter to the chlorinator after we refilled the pool. By this morning we lost about 6in and the leak was big. We were below skimmer level when we woke up.

Soooo.... I got supplies for SLAMming today(borax, bleach and baking soda and my TF-100 kit... am I missing anything else I need?). Bought new hose and hooked it up (fixed leak) and are now refilling the pool...again.

I know I need to start with balancing my pH... a) can I do that this evening after pool fills? And B) how do I know how much borax to add? (if I do the big pool calculator it tells me everything but wasn't sure if I'm just balancing pH if I should go by that number??)

Hi,
If you are going to SLAM, then adjust the pH to 7.2.
Next test for CYA, optimally, for slamming it should be 30. If your test says less than 3o, the use pool math to tell you how much CYA to add.
If your CYA is above 90, then you need to drain water to get the CYA down to a manageable level. Otherwise, it will take wayyyy too much bleach to do the SLAM.

Thats all you need to do.
Dont make any other adjustments for now.

Please also post a set of test results from your TF 100.

Also, there is SUPPOSED to be a set of laminated instructions included with your test kit. Im sure if you email the test kit folks, they will send you one. They are very very keen on 100% customer satisfaction.

hope this helps to get you started.

Glad you have the TF 100 to help you. There should have been a laminated card on top in the box with 2 sides of instructions.

Can you post a full set of number please since tou have your test kit?

We use pool math to calculate what we we should add.

Glad you have the TF 100 to help you. There should have been a laminated card on top in the box with 2 sides of instructions.

Can you post a full set of number please since tou have your test kit?

We use pool math to calculate what we we should add.

I have no idea how to use the kit yet or what a 'full set' of numbers even is with this kit. There are an awful lot of pieces! :eek:

Also I don't think they would be accurate as the pool is still filling (about 4in more still needed).

Do I need a 'full set' to adjust the pH?

I have no idea how to use the kit yet or what a 'full set' of numbers even is with this kit. There are an awful lot of pieces! :eek:

Also I don't think they would be accurate as the pool is still filling (about 4in more still needed).

In case you haven't seen this, there are videos on how to do the tests. Click here and check out some useful instructional videos.

A full set of numbers are run all the tests.
FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Yes you really need a full set of numbers when adjusting anything other than FC. No laminated card in your kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okie dokie... after playing with the test I'm realizing there is no FAS/DPD 'test' it's the 'chlorine drop test' i(which I thought them the overnight one) which is actually the FC and CC tests... so, yes, there are instructions... argghh.. so confusing.

Anyway... think I figured out how to do them (is there something for PH other than the 'basic kit' thingie?? if so, I didn't find that but it says 'don't record' so... again, confusing).

Here is what I got...

FC 0.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 70
CH 150+ (think I may have double dropped at least once... maybe twice so went with the minimum of 6 drops)
CYA 45
TC 1

Would like to send you a pic of what I'm starting with but having trouble getting it to upload... will come back and edit if I can get it to work. :)

Soo... next step?

- - - Updated - - -

Soo... next step?

Oh, and should say it's fairly cloudy here today and other than a trip the park for lunch with my son's class I have all day to mess with the pool...so let me have it! :)

1a4c7033bf625fcdbdacfd941ba9f16c.jpg
pic of the pool from this morning

Glad you figured it out!

FC needs to be raised. Your CYA is 45, so look on the chlorine/cya chart to see what you need to raise it to.
Then use pool math to get the amount of bleach to add. All your other numbers are good.

Since there is cloudiness, you will want to go with SLAM levels until it clears and you pass the OLCT

- - - Updated - - -

Not too bad, just have to get more clarity.

So just use the FC and then the bottom part where it tells me how much bleach will raise my level how far, correct? (don't mean to sound obtuse but want to do it correctly!)

(I did go ahead and add some borax because the pH was really a bit iffy so will retest when I'm back from my dollar general run for bleach! )

You cannot test PH with FC levels above 10. Leave ph alone for now.

It will tel you up top how much bleach to add. In the FC box. The bottom box tells you the effects of adding the bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you have your goals set up and select trouble free pool

So just use the FC and then the bottom part where it tells me how much bleach will raise my level how far, correct? (don't mean to sound obtuse but want to do it correctly!)

(I did go ahead and add some borax because the pH was really a bit iffy so will retest when I'm back from my dollar general run for bleach! )
Nooo...

You plug your pool volume in at the very top. Then you put your current FC reading in NOw and your Target in Target and select the strength of bleach you're using. Until you get used to that, the Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom isn;t necessary. Have you read the detailed How-to in Pool School?

Nooo...

You plug your pool volume in at the very top. Then you put your current FC reading in NOw and your Target in Target and select the strength of bleach you're using. Until you get used to that, the Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom isn;t necessary. Have you read the detailed How-to in Pool School?

Ok... so the other numbers that are already in there won't affect how much I need to add then, that's good... makes it easier. I see where it tells me how much to add (4.4 jugs of 8.25%). So off to the store I go. (don't worry will grab about 8 jugs to be safe...will use them eventually if not today!).
THANKS!

Added 3 121oz jugs bleach and one hour later it is 14.5... according to poolmath I need to add a 96oz jug so doing that now. Should I test again in an hour or wait a few?

- - - Updated - - -

Also... I added bleach by pouring into skimmer while filter was on 'bypass to pool' and then returned it to filter. Is that ok??>

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.