Pool wall sitting shelf question

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Just got a strange explanation about the construction of the sitting shelfs on the wall of the pool. PB said there is no excavation for them or rebar in them? They form them only with Shotcrete? Now I don't do this for a living but I have not seen one pool build here like that? Anyone else heard of this technique?

thanks

I have a bench running the entire length of the pool along one side. It was excavated and rebarred when built.

I have benches in the deep end. They were partially rebarred. I had cave in's as well in the deep end so the bench of soil was at most half (?) the size. I asked the same question as well and they built up what was missing with gunite. It went on in layers I believe.
Steps and 9 foot benches off of them were all gunite.

The low cost of additional rebar for the bench should make installation a no brainer. Can you get away with no rebar, maybe so, but why would anyone want to skimp on this element of the build. My rule of thumb is to not skimp on items that get buried :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our shelf is rebarred. The shelf is bigger than most since it provides seating in the grotto and provides a swimout for the slide. The top step is full width of the pool and has rebar. The bottom step is in only one corner and was gunnited.

If I had to guess, I would say it depends on the mass of the shelf. It is big, it should have rebar. If it is relatively small, then they can just pile up the concrete.

Met with another builder, they use rebar on the baja step, shelfs and steps. they use number 3 and number 4 rebar depending on what the city requires. I am thinking of just having them use number 4 and pay for the difference if it's not too much more. heavier steel has got to be stronger and I live in the earthquate capitol of the USA. Right?

I think thicker rebar is always a good idea. When I checked when I was starting my build I think he difference between the two was only about a dollar or so for twenty feet of REBAR. The upgrade cost tinton would depend on how big your pool is. But total cost shouldn't be to bad. You also need to consider what grid they will provide. Some builders may do rigt by eight. Others may do twelve by twelve, etc. That will also affect the cost. I upgraded REBAR in certain locations I was concerned about

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.