quick question on SLAM...

Aug 15, 2014
st peters mo
Have not done this before, but was curious on adding chlorine and speed of dispersion.

When adding chlorine bleach, should I pour straight into the skimmer so that it is pumped out through the returns, or is the concentrated level harmful to the equipment? When I add acid for pH balance, I tend to pour it into the deep end in front of a return jet as that seems fairly safe assuming it gets quite diluted before it hits the pump, filter and other equipment. Should I do the same with the bleach?

Also wondering how long it takes to disperse. I have a 31K gal pool so if I dump 5 or 6 gallons of bleach will it really get evenly distributed in 30 minutes, or even an hour for that matter? Will I get accurate results from 1 test or do I need samples from several spots in the pool?

Seems basic, but I couldnt find those answers in the existing threads....

Thanks in advance!

As far as bleach, add it as you do the MA.

How long it take to disperse will be determined by how many gallon per hour your water filters.

During a SLAM you can test and add every hour is you want to. I kept mine about every 2 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

What test kit do you have?
Have you discovered Pool Math yet?

Hi Shawnra,
I woiuld recommend pouring the bleach in at several places around the pool, but alway pour it slowly right over a return.
The returns will help mix it all up.

Its never good to put chlorine into the skimmer (even pucks). Chlorine is very corossive and a high concentration of it directly from the skimmer to the equipment can potentially shorten the lifespan if it because of hte corrosive effects. Especially the Seals in the pump.

Thanks for the responses. I do have the TF 100 kit and have been using pool math regularly.

I didnt really think I had much of an algae problem as I only see a few small spots on the floor of the pool, but this morning I backwashed the pump and it was fairly green. I have never seen that before, so I guess its time to get to it!

We seem to have a pair of ducks that prefer the pool over the pond down the road. I have an idea that this is where the algae is coming from. An ideas on how the get rid of them :). The dog is scared of them, so that just leaves me to chase them off a couple of times a day and that apparently isnt enough!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.