Closing down with 1 person- My solution

May 21, 2008
Ridgewood NJ
I think I devised a pretty slick way to close the pool my self. I removed the drain plug from the pump after lowering the pool level to just below the skimmers and replaced the 1/4 plug with a quick fit 1/4 inch air compressor plug. I plugged in my pancake compressor and hooked it up to the quick release. I pressurized the system to about 10 psi and blew out the two skimmers, the main drain and the return lines. I went around twice to make sure the lines were dry. Worked great!. I have enjoyed this forum and hope this helps someone else.
Len

Great idea!! I would like to winterize on my own next season. The 2 concerns I had were which compressor to buy and where to connect it!

So specifically which compressor did you use, where did you get the 1/4 inch air compressor plug, and how deep is your main drain? I assume you knew the main drain was emptying due to bubbling? Did you just keep the compressor running or did it periodically have to build up pressure?

Thanks for the info,

I use a 26 gallon, 5hp, oil lube air compressor. I winterize the pool, also used for tools, nailer's, spray gun. Had the compressor long before the pool. Made an adapter for the pump drain plug with 3' piece of water hose and air quick disconnect. Allows me to be at each valve with the air disconnect. I also plug the pump output (in the pump basket) when I blow out the main drains and spa drains.

DLSDO said:
Great idea!! I would like to winterize on my own next season. The 2 concerns I had were which compressor to buy and where to connect it!

So specifically which compressor did you use, where did you get the 1/4 inch air compressor plug, and how deep is your main drain? I assume you knew the main drain was emptying due to bubbling? Did you just keep the compressor running or did it periodically have to build up pressure?

Thanks for the info,

I do a similar thing (although with a larger compressor, 5HP 50 gallon.) If he can do it with a pancake, that's as small as they come. So any will do. If you can regulate down to 10-15 psi, you can leave it running. If you go full pressure, a few seconds is all you want or the tank will empty itself. By compressor plug, all the OP means is a standard quick release air nozzle with a 1/4" male NPT (pipe) thread. They also sell 3/8" (which would fit my pump). Get a bushing if your plug hole is larger. Available at NAPA Wally-world or any place that sells air fittings. Going in through the pump drain plug IS pretty clever--I use a hose bibb on the filter line because it is there and that is what PB did when I watched him the first year. I didn't want any arguments if something broke the first winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.