Replacing a PLC1400

May 26, 2015
new orleans, la
My SWG is 7 years old, got error code 120 and after cleaning still getting code, so am replacing as this is likely culprit. Pulled the old PLC1400. Put in place the new item, aquapure that started with an R model # (was told by pool store this was identical to PLC1400) the unions on the replacement were smaller than the existing nuts, the same nuts that held in the old PLC1400. As I recall, the nuts provided in the box with the new SWG were too small for the old PLC1400. Am I making sense? Are these units made with different size unions or am I just an idiot. The pool store swore that the item they sold me was identical to the old PLC1400. Called Zodiac and they couldn't seem to figure out why I couldn't just drop in the new one and tighten existing nuts. Help?

Welcome to TFP!

Jandy had the 2-port cells and then they changed over to the 3-port design some time ago. During this design change they made a 3-port cell that would take the smaller fittings but this lasted for only a short period of time. They then designed the latest 3-port cell with the larger fittings and the only way to make it fit into an old system is to remove the old plumbing and install the new fittings.

Either your old cell is a 2-port or the small 3-port cell and now the plumbing has to be redone for the larger 3-port cell.

Old one is 3 port cell. Might be the other way around as the old 3 port cell unions and existing unions are too big for the replacement the pool store sold me. So, if I am following correctly, the pool store sold me a 3 port cell with the smaller fittings. A new PLC1400 should have the larger fittings and no need to replumb. Correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.