My pool is a swamp

Jul 29, 2014
MOUNT MORRIS
My husband usually tends to the pool by taking a sample to the pool store and spending way too much money on their recommendations. I told him I want to try the BBB method this year. We are just getting this up and running and I wonder if I should drain as much of the swampy water our first and refill it or just add fresh water to what is there and try to combat all the algea.

PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Our general rule of thumb is that 5,000 gallon pools are the upper limit of drain and refill to fix it.

We really try to down play the BBB name, because too many folks were running out and stocking up on the B's when they didn't need to.

If youa re going to follow our methods you will need one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results. I recommend the TF-100 because it comes with more of the stuff you use every day. Ge tthe XL option, because you are going to need the extra to clear the swamp.

Order your test kit and we can worry about the best course of action after we have test results.

While you wait you can do a little reading. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Hi Sandy. Welcome to TFP. The first thing you really must do .... order one of the recommended test kits (see my signature link). You MUST have a good test kit of your own. Do NOT reply on the pool stores or test strips, they will steer you in the wrong direction.

Sandy, if you follow the methods here you're going to save a lot of money and make your husband a very happy man! You'll save a lot of frustration in the process. The pool store isn't going to like you a lot however! Get a recommended test kit and head over to pool school.

Welcome to TFP!

Plus one one on getting one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net. XL option and speed stir are great ideas.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool. The more you scoop out the debris the less bleach you will use and the more you brush the faster you will kill the algae.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.