cloudy water

May 26, 2015
Monmouth, IL
We have an 18' round above ground pool. It worked great for many years. Two years ago, we started having problems. (I think that was when the town water system was rebuilt). For the last two years we have started from scratch. We put fresh water in and powdered shock. Almost immediately, the water turned cloudy. I bought a Taylor testing kit. Here are my results:

6.4 ppm free chlorine
pH 7.6
Calcium carbonate alkalinity 330 ppm
Calcium hardness 100 ppm
Cyanuric acid 0 ppm
Water temp 70 degrees

When I put the numbers in the Taylor calculator, it seems to show that saturation is near 1.5 which is about 3 times what it should be. I'm not a chemist and the tables in the book are cryptic to me. I'm guessing there is way too much calcium carbonate? What treatment should I use?

Welcome to TFP!

Though your TA, which is reported as calcium carbonate equivalent, is high, that likely isn't the cause of your cloudiness. More than likely the shock is the cause. I'd bet if you read the ingredients is says it is calcium hypochlorite. Well known for clouding the water.

You'd be better served to use a trichlor or dichlor shock until your CYA gets to a reasonable level (see Recommended Levels ) and then switch to liquid chlorine in the form of liquid pool "shock" or unscented laundry bleach.

I'm trying to decipher how much triclor to add. I'm confused about CYA. What is stabilizer? Do I need it with an above ground pool with a sand filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CYA and stabilizer are the same thing. It protects your chlorine from sunlight. Without it your chlorine can be gone in a few hours. Too much and it can be a bear to get rid of algae. You want it to be just right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.