New pool initial start up advice please.

Mar 30, 2015
Port Neches, Texas
New pool guy here with a brand new pool start up. I started adding water 24 hrs ago we are roughly half way full. Once the water reaches a safe level to run the pump what should I add to the water initially to get going correctly? How much salt should we initially add? We ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit but will not have for a few days.

Thanks Darrin

Here's our setup, it's new equipment..
20,000 gallon FactoryPool 8000 saltwater pool 30'x54"
CircuPool Si+45
Pentair 1.5hp Variable speed pump
Hayward C3030 cartridge filter

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Once you have the pump running, and until you get your test kit, just add 2 ppm of chlorine each evening after it starts to get dark.

Once you have your test kit, post a full set of test results and we can advise you.

Thanks for the advice but there is no sense in trying to open a pool now, It just keeps raining & raining & raining here in my part of Texas. I'm on hold with plumbing tie in to the pool for a few days. I'll report back with water test numbers once I'm able to complete the plumbing.

Gasman, whether you decide to hold on filling or continue, there's one major factor for you to consider to keep that water crystal clear and blue ..... do not go to the pool store for testing or advice! Sounds ridiculous right? But unfortunately it's the truth. No one will give you accurate test results other than YOU by using one of TFPs recommended test kits (see my signature for TF-100). It's the basis of everything you do and provides the best results while saving you money. As JasonLion mentioned earlier, keep adding that amount of "regular" bleach (nothing else!) each day to help keep your new water sanitized until you're fully up & running. Might not hurt to sweep the pool a bit each day too until you have your pump running. But don't fall for pool store tests, products, or gimmicks. Get that TF-100 and review the essential links below in my signature and you'll be on your way to a great swimming season.

Texas Splash.. I bought and used the Taylor 2006 test kit for the numbers I posted. I will have the circulation system up and running here in a few hours. I haven't put anything in the pool other than city water and about 5-7 inches of rain water Mother Nature delivered. Once I get the pump going here shortly should I add house hold bleach and address the low alkalinity 1st? The Taylor kit suggested adding 28 lbs of Sodium bicarbonate to bring my numbers to where they should be. I assume this quantity of baking soda will help raise the PH in the process. What would be the max amount of Sodium bicarbonate I would want to add in a 24 hour period ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.