New 16 x 48 Coleman (Intex) pool install. Some ?'s. (level, equipment)

May 21, 2015
Tampa Bay, FL
Hello,

I'm completely new with above-ground pools (and pools in general), but my wife and kids have talked me into one. I picked up a 16' x 48" Coleman (Intex rebrand I believe). I've learned a wealth of information so far on TFP, but I've got a few questions that I haven't found a good answer for.

I plan on leveling the ground and topping it off with landscaping fabric and 1/2" Extruded Polystyrene, taped together. I'll tie-wire a border around the pool legs and landscape 2' around the pool with smooth pea-gravel. For equipment I'm ditching the factory cartridge pump and going with a SandPro 75D 3/4hp pump with sand filter, Hayward through-wall skimmer and Intex SWG.

1. Anybody see any issues with this combo?

2. Is there an optimum place for the thru-wall skimmer to be mounted? I can't find anything definitive in my searching, so it might not be crucial to performance.

3. My yard is NOT level. It slopes 5 feet across it's 113 foot width. After 3 days of digging, I have a nice and level spot approximately 20' around to leave some room for landscaping. I've read what seems like hundreds of threads about leveling the ground, but I haven't seen one that had to cut out quite as much. As seen in the pic, I've got a 10-12" ledge (disregard my digging helper). Pool1.jpg I'm looking for ideas on what to do with that ledge short of pouring a 4" wide concrete retaining wall.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to our first Florida summer with a pool.:D

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1) Sounds like a good upgrade to the equipment. A 2-speed pump would have some advantage to save on electrical costs.

2) Not that I know of. You want to create a circular flow pattern.

3) I think you could just use a course or 2 of castle block to make a retaining wall. I have seen that done before.

BTW, I recommend the use of house wrap tape (like Tyvek or the Lowe's version) on the Styrofoam base. It is waterproof, thin, and very sticky.

Thanks for the welcome and the response! This place appears to be an incredible resource, and I've learned quite a bit just reading others' posts!

1. A 2-speed pump would have been ideal, and it's something I may spring for next season. For now, I wanted something that would get the job done compared to the inadequate factory pump.

2. Awesome. That makes it easier!

3. I hadn't thought of using the castle blocks, but I stopped by Lowe's today, and I think that's the way I'm going to go. Thanks for the suggestion!!! I'll be sure to post progress pictures along the way!

I initially picked up metal tape, but I like your idea better for the Tyvek tape. I'll swap it out when I go to pick up the castle blocks I ordered. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.