Austin pool remodel BOTCHED. HELP! Need to know proper protocol.

May 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi, I'm trying to gather information about standards that should be followed when renovating an existing inground pool.
Pool originally built in 1965, appears to have been re-plastered approximately 2 times. Most current plaster is falling off to the touch.

The work required included:
Repair/ level bond beam (damaged during renovation of the home)
Rebuild skimmers
Re-plumb pool including skimmers and add T from main drain
Replace old ungrounded light with low-voltage light
Add bench at deep end
Replaster pool
New tile
New coping
Pour concrete pool surround to meet at the back of precast coping

What we have thus far:
- Out of level pool beam, and too wide (but too narrow) to pour concrete patio surround
- Precast coping installed on top of unlevel pool beam that had patches of mortar not removed prior to coping installation; Can see from afar the line of the coping going up and down.
- Pool tile not floated. Installed directly on top of old tile removal. Tile waves down the length of the pool.
- 3/4 inch return lines coming through pool shell.
- 1 1/2" plumbing to entire pool, opens to 2" plumbing near equipment
- Unsure if electrical grounded
- Unsure if light is low-voltage
- Pool equipment left running dry after finally being installed (had been sitting in original boxes in our back yard for 2 weeks prior)
- Deep end bench, unsure if properly doweled in with rebar, also doubtful if existing de-laminating plaster was chipped away before pouring concrete for bench.

At this point, we have not proceeded further with this company. We have not had the pool re-plastered, yet because we are not even sure if what has been done thus far is appropriate.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly to point out and how to prove that this is not how a pool should be done.

I know in many parts of Texas there are no regulations on pool building, but that does not make it right for a company to basically steal money, and leave you with a bigger problem than when you started. This is basically the situation I am in right now.

I desperately need help and insight into proper pool renovating standards.

Thank you all for your time and support.
Katie

Welcome to the forum Katie,

While I'm not aware of any official "standards" it doesn't sound like their standard of workmanship is too good. I suggest you halt everything where it is, and have a serious sit down discussion with the PB about all issues of concern. It's really difficult for us to help resolve these types of issues, as this is a serious business transaction between the two of you. About all we can advise is to get documentation of your problems and try to resolve this in a meeting with the builder. Be sure to make it very clear why they are not meeting your expectations.

Thank you for the response. We have stopped the work, but I'm just trying to educate myself on any general standards to follow. The workmanship is pretty bad, but I'm concerned about safety, too. We've had other builders come out to see it and give us estimates on what they think it will cost to fix the mistakes. Sadly, it's almost as much to fix the problems as we've already paid the original company. I'm so disgusted and frustrated. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.
I've heard of other people, specifically in Austin, having similar problems with pool builders. Do you think this has anything to do with a lack of regulation and code enforcement? I'm just curious. It seems like I've been hearing that many California companies are moving their business to Texas due to fewer hoops. But does that undermine the reputable Texas companies who know what to do and how to do it properly?

I'm pretty much up a creek...

My heart goes out to you guys in Austin ! We haven't even started ,signed the contract but pb is backed up due to the rain. I hope someone can help you ! So sorry for your stressful situation.and disappointment ! Makes me wonder if it's worth it ??

I'm definitely planning on complaining to the BB and letting people know via Yelp to STAY AWAY from these guys. It's terrible that companies like this give the whole industry a bad rap. I don't want to trust anyone now.

I'm just hoping that this company cares enough about their reputation to do the right thing by their customers.

Magicruiser: I'm sitting here looking at our absolute MESS of a back yard with a half done disaster of a hole in the ground and asking myself the same thing..."Is this worth it?!?" and then remember that we've paid almost $20K and this is what we have?!? I just want to crawl into a hole.

It's funny how many people believe in deregulation. Texas brags about how they don't have all that regulation and red tape hampering small businesses. Without regulation, building codes and rigorous inspections, this is what happens.

It's funny how many people believe in deregulation. Texas brags about how they don't have all that regulation and red tape hampering small businesses. Without regulation, building codes and rigorous inspections, this is what happens.

Yep. Count me in that group. Texas is attracting a lot of businesses and our employment is generally pretty good. I'll take that trade off every day.

It's unfair to use a single example to counter a broad policy. Bad builders and bad builds exist everywhere. We need to weed these guys out and expose them.

I feel for what the OP is going through but I'm glad Texas does not overburden our businesses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.