How deep does pipe need to be buried?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I have some old polybutle pipe that I am thinking of replacing with PVC. I have already had to repair two leaks in an area where there are tree roots and I think in the long run I will save money by just replacing that part of it. It is buried about 3 feet deep which makes it time consuming to dig down to and fix. I would like to bury the replacement pipe at a much shallower depth. What is the minimum depth?

Also, any other comments or advice would be appreciated.

I have some old polybutle pipe that I am thinking of replacing with PVC. I have already had to repair two leaks in an area where there are tree roots and I think in the long run I will save money by just replacing that part of it. It is buried about 3 feet deep which makes it time consuming to dig down to and fix. I would like to bury the replacement pipe at a much shallower depth. What is the minimum depth?

The minimum depth would be the frost line for your area. Your local building department can tell you the frost line depth because all structure footers need to be below that line. I think when I built my deck in Kennesaw Cobb county told me the frost depth was 18" - but that was a long time ago and memories can be fuzzy, so verify.

Now, just because it's at the proper minimum depth does not mean it is safe from people digging and such.

Reactions: AustinCoco

I am waiting for answers to the same question but i am up north and have to deal with frost. My research of the subject led me to the conclusion that a foot or so is the minimum so you don't run into issues aerating the lawn etc. Other than that you should be fine.

I know i need to blow mine out when i winterize but am concerned about frost heaves damaging the pipe.

Most installs don't put water lines below the frost line. Since they have to come to the surface at the equipment and at the returns and skimmer, it's pointless because you have to blow them out before winter anyway. Put them deep enough you won't puncture one planting flowers and you are good.

No concerns about frost heaves damaging the pipes??

You are already above the frost line at the returns, skimmers and equipment pad. Deepest freeze I've ever seen here was 21". We generally put water lines at 3ft, but I've never seen a pool pipe more than a foot deep for the runs.

I don't close my pool in the winter. I leave it open and any time the temperature goes below freezing I run the pump. That is not all that often in Atlanta.

So the frost line is not an issue. I hadn't thought about protection from things like a lawn aerating. As i remember the areater pulls out a plug about 3 inches deep. I would think a foot deep trench to lay a pipe less than 3 inches thick would provided a reasonable margin of safety, but someone please correct me. I am just thinking out loud and am not an expert. Maybe 18 inches would be better. Better safe than sorry and it wouldn't be that much extra trouble to dig to 18 inches.

The depth of a pipe is a code issue, so I'd call a plumber and ask them. They deal with this daily and will certainly know the regulations.

Unlike the NEC which has an extensive section on pools, I've never seen anything but waste connections and heater installation mentioned in any plumbing code about pools. They exist in their own world where safety rules are the only concerns for the most part.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP is in Atlanta. There will be no frost heave issues. Up north, a lot of pools are plumbed with black poly so if you do get any heaves, the pipes wiont shatter like PVC.

If you dont blow the lines out, just run the pump in the winter when you may get a hard freeze. 1 foot would be fine.

And there is no UPC code for actual pool return and suction lines, unless some local muni has one. But I would think not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.