Help Me Please!!!!!!!!

May 25, 2015
Columbus / Ga
Yesterday I went to the pool store to get my water tested, here are the results:
FAC=0
TAC=0
CH=90
CYA=60
TA=80
pH=7.4
Copper=0
Iron=0
TDS=300
PHO=0
So i added 6 bags of POWER POWDER PLUS, 1LB each. Filter running.

Today i woke up to a mint green pool with white foam everywhere...had the water tested again today, here are the results:
FAC=.5
TAC=.5
CH=100
CYA=0
TA=50
pH=7.4
Copper=0.6
Iron=0
TDS=300
Pho=0
Leslies pools conducted these tests.. i bought some metal free for $26 and 4 Gallons of liquid Chlorine

Tired of spending money on Chemicals...I feel like everytime I get my water tested i need more chemicals.
or they are ripping me off.. I just wnat to swim..

Help please......................

Welcome to TFP!

I would suggest tou get your own test kit to really take over your pool.

There is no way you could have lost 60 Cya overnight! Their testing is wrong and inaccurate. You would have had to add a lot of water tou your pool to make this happen.

Also unlikely that your TA went from 80 to 50 overnight.

You need to flow the TFP methods. Bleach or liquid chlorine is all you need.
I imagine the powder power plus you added could have had copper in it and that is why you now have copper.

The 2 readings do not add up at all. They are both inconstant. I recommend the TF 100 test kit in my signature and you avoid the pool store except to buy liquid chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to get some FC in there ASAP before you get an algae bloom.

- - - Updated - - -

However it is hard to say how much liquid chlorine to add since we don't really know what your CYA truly is.

Oh my! Well, get ready to hear this many, many times ..... "Stay away from the pool store." Their test results are notoriously bad, misleading, and cause you to purchase items you don't need. There's no way your CYA would be 60 one day and 0 the next. So that's just one example of bad test results from the pool store. Do NOT buy any chemicals from them. Most are just a waste of your time (except liquid shock (which is strong bleach) or granule stabilizer (for CYA)). If you stick with this site and the TFP methods, you will be much happier and see overall success.

If your water is changing color, it means you have algae beginning to grow. You need to kill it with chlorine, nothing fancy, just simple bleach from the grocery store (or the liquid shock you just bought). How much do you need to put in? That can't really be answered "accurately" right now because you don't' have a good test kit of your own. Please see my signature for advice on how to get your own test kit - NOT the ones they sell at the local pool store. Many of us recommend the TF-100. You MUST have your own test kits (as recommended) to take accurate tests. From there, we can help you with the chemicals.

You may want to be prepared to pick-up a few more gallons of "Regular" bleach from your local grocery or hardware store. You can add a couple gallons for now, but until you get your own test kit, we're just guessing. Also, please see the Pool School link in my signature for some really good guidance. You will most-likely need to follow the "SLAM" procedures as soon as you get a kit. Keep us posted! Lots of folks here will help. :)

ha ha. Some of us were thinking and typing the same thing at the same time.

You need your own test kit. There is no possible way to go from a 60 CYA to 0 in one day. If they can't measure that they can't be relied on to measure anything else.

1. Get the TF-100 test kit. It's the best deal going.
2. Do your own testing. A patient novice with good kit beats the store any day.
3. Only add what your pool needs. No more, no less. You'll need to know how much water the pool holds. Pool math.
4. Understand why you are adding it. Pool School.
5. Be patient and ask questions.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

The first thing I will say is stay calm, anything can be fixed....

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. In my case two different pool stores told me my CYA was "fine", around 70 or 80. When I tested myself I found it over 200.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

I really appreciate all your help....i already put the Metal free in the pool... Now it is raining. I will put up a picture tomorrow. I have 4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine, i woul put them in the pool tomorrow. I will purchase a test kit tonight. Again thank you so much.

I really appreciate all your help....i already put the Metal free in the pool... Now it is raining. I will put up a picture tomorrow. I have 4 gallons of Liquid Chlorine, i woul put them in the pool tomorrow. I will purchase a test kit tonight. Again thank you so much.
Don't bother wasting the liquid chlorine. Without the test kit you are shooting in the dark.

You are ordering it on line right? You can seldom get them locally.

Make sure it is one of these. Recommended Test Kits

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
attachment.php

This is my pool this morning, before i read your post Mr. Moderator, I put 10 pounds of 99.9% quick dissolve into the skimmer, 1 pound at a time, plus the 4 gallons of liquid chlorine and 4 chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket. im not adding anything else until i test the water. Can anyone explain the foam?

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 302
Take the tablets back out and don't add any more power or solid chlorine products until you get your kit.

Too much chlorine without knowing your cya can damage things so try to be patient and wait for that kit. My pool was green and foaming too when I found TFP.
Don't worry. We can help you fix this. :)

Relax. The pool isn't going to look like this for much longer. Until you get one of the recommended test kits nobody will know exactly what's wrong with the pool. So, until the water is tested they can't help you figure out how to fix it. Once you get the kit you'll be on your way. Let's figure out where we're going before we start driving.

Thanks Beens, i will remove the tablets. One of two local pool stores here had the K2006 test kit,, but they are selling it for $115. THATS WAY TO HIGH. It just further lets me know they are rip offs. This very frustrating and to see how many people trust there advice without knowing anything. Someone said yesterday it is like being prescribed medicine without being seen by a Doctor. Should i turn my filter off?

Thanks Beens, i will remove the tablets. One of two local pool stores here had the K2006 test kit,, but they are selling it for $115. THATS WAY TO HIGH. It just further lets me know they are rip offs. This very frustrating and to see how many people trust there advice without knowing anything. Someone said yesterday it is like being prescribed medicine without being seen by a Doctor. Should i turn my filter off?
We will get your pool clear and you swimming!!

Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

I know you don't want to hear that you should spend more money after getting ripped off by the pool store, but a proper test kit is THE most important tool for you to take control of your pool. The rest of the chemicals you'll need can be gotten without stepping foot in the pool store ever again (unless they have a great deal on bleach or acid and you can wear your ear plugs in the store). Yes, the TF-100 kit is sold by one of the site owners but no one else here giving you advice benefits one bit from you purchasing a kit from tftestkits. And it's the best value of any appropriate test kit with great customer service. You can also opt for the K-2006 through another source and it will work just fine. We're all just pool owners like you, trying to help each other out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.