My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Teerump

May 13, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys, we bought a house with a 17'x33' inground vinyl liner pool, approx. 20,000 gals. I've never opened a pool. I'm going to tackle this swamp tomorrow. I've looked under the cover and its green, with algae covering the steps and floating on top. I'm going to post pics tomorrow... From what I've read, you guys like pics! :D

I've got the Taylor k-2006 test kit. Can you guys guide me though this process? I've done a lot of reading on here, a lot to take in.

So, can you guys tell me my first steps tomorrow to get this process started? Besides the obvious of getting the cover off. LOL. Any idea of how much and what I need chemicals wise to get the ball rolling?

Thans in advance and I'll post up pics tomorrow!

Tim

Congrats on your k2006 test kit. We can certainly help guide you through the SLAM process.

First step after cover is off and the pump is up and running is to run a full set of tests. And post them here.

We won't know how much of anything until we have test results.

Have you familiarized yourself with pool math and the SLAM process?

Read through the ABC's of pool water chemestry also

- - - Updated - - -

You could pick up about 10- 15 gallons of 8.25% bleach for now.

First you have to get the equipment running to circulate water. I'm not sure what filter yoiu have but if you can set it to recirculate for testing the filter won't clog every few minutes.

Once you have the water moving let it circulate for at least 30 minutes. At that point we want a full set of water testing done.

FC
pH
CH
TA
CYA

Now comes the work. Scoop as much gunk out of the pool as you can.

Once we see the test results we can recomend how to move forward, but I know you will need a lot of liquid chlorine.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new swamp! :)

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.
Scoop out as much debris as you can with a leaf rake while you wait.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thanks guys for the information, I'll post later today what kind of pump and filter I have, have to have my son look and see for me.
I'll pick up 15 gallons of bleach on the way home so I have some to get started after I test and post results in here in the morning.
Anything in particular I need to know about getting the pump and filtered started?

Thanks again for the advice and help. I'm really anxious to get started and see if I can get this thing back without having somebody else come do it.

Ok guys.. got the cover off and got all the plugs out and got the pump running finally..... but I have no water flow. I think I have a clog!?!?!? I'm literally scooping nets full of worms off the bottom near the main drain. If I'm clogged, how do I fix it?
Here are some pics of the pool as it stands right now. I haven't tested the water yet because I can't circulate the water for 30 mins. like you guys recommend.

Welcome to the Forum Teerump :wave:

I'll be interested in this one for sure. You are going to need more FAS/DPD Chlorine reagent for sure, so this will mean R0871 liquid, and R0870 powder. This will be a tough one, but we will help you through, no worries.

You say no flow, what's happening in the pump strainer basket right now?

Subscribed! It's going to be great to see how this one cleans up. Post a picture of the pump, valves leading to it, and pump basket maybe something is up there.

1. Is it possible there are still other plugs still in the system somewhere?
2. Are the plugs in the pump? There are usually a couple drain plugs.
3. Is the pump basket full of water?
4. Does the pump run?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you need to add water. The water level should be halfway up the opening of the skimmer on the side of the pool. Your pump probably isn't working because the water level is below the skimmer, so the pump is just sucking air.

Ok, the water is flowing now.. kept shutting the pump on and off and it finally started flowing... the water is a little low but still above the bottom of the skimmer. Been running for about 30 mins now. Going to go test and will post results.

That is pretty much what mine looked like when we took the cover off. I was not as fortunate as you. I didnt find this site until I had spent a ton of money listening to the pool store, and the roofer the PO was using as a pool guy. Yeah, I said roofer smh! It is a ton of work in the beginning, but for me at least, well worth it every time my kids get in the crystal blue water!

Can't wait to see this one cleaned up.

Get those results posted and we'll give you a hand.

FYI, being in Indianapolis (or close by) it looks like you have Ollie's around you. They currently have Liquid Chlorine Shock for $2.99/gallon at 12.5% strength.
You are going to find it tough to get a cheaper price than that. I'd get 3 cases (12 Bottles to start), this will hopefully last you through the cleanup.

Can't wait to see this one cleaned up.

Get those results posted and we'll give you a hand.

FYI, being in Indianapolis (or close by) it looks like you have Ollie's around you. They currently have Liquid Chlorine Shock for $2.99/gallon at 12.5% strength.
You are going to find it tough to get a cheaper price than that. I'd get 3 cases (12 Bottles to start), this will hopefully last you through the cleanup.

Where is Ollies? I'm in Shelbyville.
Never mind..... I found it!

Tested the water...

PH - Off the chart high
TA - 210
FC - 0
CH - 0
CYA - I guess 0.. the water was clear and the black dot never disappeared.

If you have 0FC right now is a good time to bring your PH down to 7.2 using MA. you cannot SLAM with a PH 8+
It probably rose because of the high TA. We won't worry about the TA right now though.

When did you add Stablizer to bring up CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

You can refer to the links in post 4 for extra help.
If you did add Stablizer what was your target? This is important to help determine how much bleach to add.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new swamp! :)

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.
Scoop out as much debris as you can with a leaf rake while you wait.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Tested the water...

PH - Off the chart high
TA - 210
FC - 0
CH - 0
CYA - I guess 0.. the water was clear and the black dot never disappeared.

See the Recommended Pool Chemicals above.
Then Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Pool Math will tell you what you need for your pool.

You are going to need Liquid Chlorine (Either bleach or what stores call Liquid Shock)
You are going to need Muriatic Acid (Lowe's/Home Depot)
You are going to need stabilizer. (You can get this at a pool store or Walmart)

You should address your pH first and your CYA (Stabilizer). Once those are good, start the SLAM process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.