My pool looks like a swamp! New owner, 1st time opening, Help!

Ok so your next step is to add Stablizer. You can use the HTH brand Stablizer with the purple cap and target 30 for CYA. You add the granular Stablizer to a sock and either set it in top of a skimmer and queeze every couple of hours or you can tie it in front of a return jet and queeze every couple of hours.

You can also add MA to bring the PH down.

For now add target 2 ppm of FC.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember it will take up to a week for CYA to register completely. No need to test it until a week after adding.

Ok, good..

You'll need to work the pH down to 7.2 as well. Have you used pool math yet? It's very simple, and it will give you the amounts once you plug in your numbers. For pH change/acid dose, enter 8.2 for a start. Add the amount of acid it says to go to 7.5 at first. You don't want to go too far so let's do this in increments ok? Pick up some Stabilizer, and a bunch of bleach. 8.25%. You want 31.45% Muriatic Acid say 3-4 gallons, but again, reduce the pH in increments with the acid.

Are you targeting from 0 current to goal 2?

Do you have 20000 entered as gallons?

Did you make sure to set up you goals and select trouble free pool

- - - Updated - - -

I am showing 59 ozs of 8.25% to get to 2 ppm for 20,000 gallons

- - - Updated - - -

How deep is your pool?

Am I doing something wrong for the FC... Pool math says 148oz.. that's just over one jug... seems awfully low to me.

You need to enter the value in the target box what value you need to bring the FC up to. It depends on your CYA.
See here Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Do you have the volume of your pool set correctly, # of gallons? This affects all your numbers.

You want to get the pH fixed first before adding chlorine. with pH off the charts it may take multiple additions.
Do you have Muriatic Acid?

Am I doing something wrong for the FC... Pool math says 148oz.. that's just over one jug... seems awfully low to me.

I am a newbie at this myself, but was wondering, when you added stabilizer for CYA, did you assume that it was in there and adjusted your pool math numbers to account for it? Meaning if you put in enough to raid CYA to 30, did you change your number in the pool calculator to 30 as well? That would change the amount of chlorine. Could that be what you are missing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was doing a goal of 5.. I changed it to 2.. sorry.. my bad.
Previous owner of the pool said he always used 20,000 Gals. It's a 17x33 with 4' to 5'.5'

No, I don't have any Muriatic Acid, we're headed out now to go get some Stabilizer, bleach from Walmart, and hopefully find some Muriatic acid here locally.

She has not tried to raise CYA yet, but once she adds Stablizer, yes she will assume it is 30 and add according to a CYA of 30

- - - Updated - - -

I got 19,900 so pretty close to 20,000 gallons.

If you have a lowes you can get the MA there

I was doing a goal of 5.. I changed it to 2.. sorry.. my bad.
Previous owner of the pool said he always used 20,000 Gals. It's a 17x33 with 4' to 5'.5'

No, I don't have any Muriatic Acid, we're headed out now to go get some Stabilizer, bleach from Walmart, and hopefully find some Muriatic acid here locally.

The goal for your FC will depend on your CYA, CYAis zero now, but add enough to get it to 30. Pool math should show 80 oz. then assume it is at that level and don't test it for a week.
The CYA/Chlorine chart shows a shock level of 12 for CYA of 30, 12 would be your target. If you decide on a different CYA then yuor shock level will be different.

Regardless, you want to get your pH in check FIRST before FC.
Add the acid you need accoring to Pool Math, mix and re-test.

Once you get that fixed we will help you with your FC.

This one is going to be fun to watch! You are already so far ahead of others like dontfillitin. Poor thing did not find us until well into trying to turn his pool around. BUT he did find us and cleared his pool! Now he is helping others! What a wonderful world it is here at TFP!

-Keep scooping up as much stuff as you can. The more you can scoop up the more the FC can work on the algae instead of the worms. I can only imagine what kind of silt/gunk/yuck you will find down there!

-Let us know how far down you got the PH. Add a little at a time so you do not over do it.

Kim

Im confused.. when you say add 2ppm of chlorine, exactly what do you mean?

I may have messed up... I added the full 66oz of Muriatic Acid, put 107oz, of stabilizer in socks hanging over both jets and in skimmer, and 51oz. of Chlorine 10%.
Did I just mess up by adding it all at once?!:(

In pool math enter 0 in the first box for FC and enter 2 for goal. Then add how much chlorine it says.

In the future don't add chlorine and MA at the same time. It probably p did not hurt anything, but space them 30 mins apart.

-Keep scooping up as much stuff as you can. The more you can scoop up the more the FC can work on the algae instead of the worms. I can only imagine what kind of silt/gunk/yuck you will find down there!

-Let us know how far down you got the PH. Add a little at a time so you do not over do it.

Kim

Scoop, scoop and scoop. If there is stuff down there it will consume your Chlorine in no time. Get as much out as you can.

For the acid, what did Pool Math tell you to add? Don't go dumping the whole thing when you add stuff, you need more precise amounts, especially with acid and CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

What strength is the acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.