New Pool - Adding Salt

tackettaj

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2015
Mooresville, NC
Brand new IG salt water pool. The builder stopped by yesterday to put in the salt. I was expecting to see a ton of bags unloaded to bring the salt levels to 3000-3100 ppm. He unloaded 5 bags and dumped them in. He left two more bags and said that if the readings were not above 2500 ppm go ahead and add 1 bag, wait 24 hrs and then check it again. Everything I have read told me that 5 bags wouldn't be near enough for a 25,000 gal pool. I checked by that evening and the salt level was only at 1800 ppm so I went ahead and added the two bags he left. I now have it at 2200 ppm. Everything in me says to go ahead and buy another 3 bags to get it above 2500 so cell will begin producing chlorine. Brand new to this so I was looking for some expert advice to either confirm my thinking or tell me I'm crazy.

How many lbs per bag? Pool math says you need 523lbs of salt to raise concentration 2500ppm in a 25000 gallon pool.

- - - Updated - - -

If 7 bags raised you to 2200ppm, then you only need 1 more bag of the same weight. Pool math says 460lbs of salt would give you a 2200ppm rise, so that means your bags were 65lbs/each?

Hello and welcome. I am far from an expert but last year got my new 6000 gallon above ground with a salt water generator. I added 3.5 50lb bags to get my salt level at 3000. For a 25,000 gallon pool, I would say you need between atleat 8-9 bags of salt. 5 bags is definitely not enough. Go with your gut and buy 4 more bags and I would easily spill an additional 2 and watch the levels go up. Make sure you brush the bottom of the pool to help the salt circulate and not allow it to sit on the floor. To help with filtration and movement of salt, I attached my vacuum during the first day of salt adding and scrubs the floor so that it would filter both on thop of water and also lower on the floor. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I thought also and was expecting to see way more than 7 bags unloaded out of his van. He dropped off 40 lb bags. If I figured correctly by adding 1.5 (40 lb) bags will bring it to 3000 ppm. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Hello and welcome. I am far from an expert but last year got my new 6000 gallon above ground with a salt water generator. I added 3.5 50lb bags to get my salt level at 3000. For a 25,000 gallon pool, I would say you need between atleat 8-9 bags of salt. 5 bags is definitely not enough. Go with your gut and buy 4 more bags and I would easily spill an additional 2 and watch the levels go up. Make sure you brush the bottom of the pool to help the salt circulate and not allow it to sit on the floor. To help with filtration and movement of salt, I attached my vacuum during the first day of salt adding and scrubs the floor so that it would filter both on thop of water and also lower on the floor. Good luck.

Thanks lasercomp...sounds like I'm headed in the right direction. The two bags I dumped last night was followed by brushing the salt around and then turning on my suction cleaner. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.