Hello from a complete newbie.

May 26, 2015
Nicosia Cyprus
Hi to everyone

So we have just rented a bungalow, which came with a 10 x 5 Overflow pool. We did not want a pool really, but now we have it I have to learn to maintain it. So we have got the pool clean now after a couple of backwashes and cleaned the sidewalls etc. But now we have done a test and we have this. It just not look right. Does any know how to sort this problem out. Many Thanks. B.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo-0011.jpg
    Photo-0011.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 200
Welcome to the forum Bill, :wave:

It appears that your Chlorine is through the roof high if the reagent is good, and your pH really may not be too bad at all presuming the same.

I understand you are renting, but if you are truly going to manage this properly (even though small) you need a good test kit. Chemical cost is going to be very, very small so that is one upside. We can help you do this if you wish and it will be quite easy, but you have to know what's going on in the pool. The only way to always know is through proper testing.

Welcome to TFP! You sure have found the place to keep your pool clear! We can help keep it clear using products you buy at Walmart!

BUT the first thing you need to buy is a GOOD test kit. Look below in my siggy for the link to the test we use and love.

We use bleach/chlorine to keep our pools clear!

Those colors do look way off. Do you have any idea what they used in the pool before you go there? The orange on the yellow cap has me puzzled.

I will check back on this later this morning to see if we can figure out how to keep the pool clear until your test kit gets there.

Kim

Welcome to TFP!

The orange means that your FC is much higher than that test can measure. With FC that high the pH test is not reading accurately, though it does look low.

There are two parts to the FC equation though, and without knowing the CYA there is no way to know if your FC is too high, just right, or possibly too low. Being outside the US makes it difficult for us to recommend a good kit since we don't know what is available to you locally, but what you most want to find is the Taylor K-2006. If you can find that it will make things a lot easier. If you can't then the bare minimum is a 6-way kit with drop based tests (not test strips) that does Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity, and Cyanuric Acid (sometimes called Stabilizer).

Are you taking over 100% maintenance of the pool? Are you or the owner supplying the chemicals? A lot of our advice will depend on what choices you are allowed to make with the pool. Either way we can at least point you in the best direction to go for your individual situation.

Well thanks for all your replies. Very impressed. Yes it looks as if there is too CL in the pool. Must have got carried away with that. Sorry for posting pic twice. Donldson. We are to fully maintain the pool. We have the 6 drops kit at the moment. So will not add any more CL to the pool. Have been told that normal sunshine (And there is a **** of a lot of that here now) helps to clear the CL. We are going back to the UK in a few days and will be there for 10 days. So think we will just leave the pool as it is. but will set the filters for 4 hours a day while we are away.

Again many thanks for all your help. B

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kimkats. Cyprus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is Cyprus.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to say Welcome to TFP! You have been given some great advise to get you started.

Hi thanks. looks like all the help you need is here. Looking forward to lazing in the pool when it's sorted.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP! You sure have found the place to keep your pool clear! We can help keep it clear using products you buy at Walmart!

BUT the first thing you need to buy is a GOOD test kit. Look below in my siggy for the link to the test we use and love.

We use bleach/chlorine to keep our pools clear!

Those colors do look way off. Do you have any idea what they used in the pool before you go there? The orange on the yellow cap has me puzzled.

I will check back on this later this morning to see if we can figure out how to keep the pool clear until your test kit gets there.

Kim

Hi no Walmart over here, but back in the UK we have ASDA which is part of the Walmart group, so will have a wander in there. But not much call for pools in the the UK though. Rubbish weather over there.

Hello from a very sunny Cyprus. Looking through the forum, i think my problems are quite minimal really, at least we don't have worms and gunge in the pool. Have to say glad i found the forum though. brilliant.

Well the pool is looking better now, but still to much BR-CL. Have not added any thing to the pool. Will just leave it until the CL clears a bit. So now i want to clean the filter as it is full of Oleander leaves, as there is a massive hedge of it near the pool and had some very strong winds over the last couple of days. I know you have to turn every thing off. And release the pressure in the filter tank. So this is our Sand Filter Unit. Do you reckon the black thingy on the bottom of the pic is the pressure release valve. I cant find any other valve of any kind. Looked on the net but cant find any info of this make of sand filter. It's called Water Fun Series S Sand Filter. It's made from Fiber Glass. My God there is a lot to learn about keeping pools eh.

Many Thanks again. Bill.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P 1.jpg
    P 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 48
  • P 2.jpg
    P 2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 48
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.