Removing water for cya

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
My Pool is going to be filled in a about ten days, and I have been reading up to learn how to take care of the pool. I read in Pool School that if the CYA is too high, I will need to remove water from the pool. I am curious how that is done. I have a Cartridge filter, so I won't backwash, and wasn't sure what method I would need to use if removing water was necessary.

Thanks

It's very easy when you start. You simply control how much you put in, and you never have to worry about that happening. If you use a stabilized source and let it get out of control, then you'll have to buy or rent a submersible pump to move out the over stabilized water, then refill with your normal source. By far the best plan is to control it as you go by not using stabilized Chlorine as your only source of FC.

Grottoguy, that basically happened to me before I learned TFP. I had a new pool in 2013, and like so many new pool owners I wanted it to have the best, so I listened to my pool contractor and the local pool store. BIG mistake. I was using bags of shock and 3" tabs like crazy. By the end of that season (in only about 5 months) my CYA was over 90. Well, I managed to lower it simply by using my cartridge filter drain to purge some of the water out then replenishing with new water. But the biggest relief came over the next few months with lots of rain which helped me turn-over the water as well. This was the first season I actually had to get some stabilizer to bump-up my CYA a bit. So as Patrick stated above ... if you stick with the TFP principles, and are careful about how much you put-in at the beginning, you won't have any problems. Enjoy your swimming season.

It's very easy when you start. You simply control how much you put in, and you never have to worry about that happening. If you use a stabilized source and let it get out of control, then you'll have to buy or rent a submersible pump to move out the over stabilized water, then refill with your normal source. By far the best plan is to control it as you go by not using stabilized Chlorine as your only source of FC.

^^^This^^^

Freshly filled pools start out with zero CYA. How much gets added depends on what the owner adds to it. Texas Splash had to learn that the hard way, now you have the opportunity to do it right from the beginning and learn from his experiences. What happens to your pool now is entirely up to you.

I've never had to drain my pool for CYA but I've had to drain it due to excessive rain. I just use a 1.5" pool hose and create a siphon and drain it to the corner of my yard. Going from filled to the top to normal level takes ~30 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.