amcnulty in East Tennessee

May 8, 2015
KNOXVILLE
Hello all! I've been checking the site out, trying to absorb as much as I can. I've got sooo much to learn. Bought a house with a huge in ground pool that hadn't been touched in 10 years! Well, days of collecting frogs, newts, salamanders and tadpoles -you wouldn't believe how big bull frog tadpoles are! Kind of scary when you put your hand in water and don't know what just hit it lol! Anyhow, I'm rambling on. We had drained the pool, pressure washed it. We've just had a pool company acid wash, pressure test it. They also changed the sand in the filter. It is currently filling up!!! So, I'm positive I'll be full of questions and glad to have found a great place for research as well as answers!1.jpgpool1.jpgpool mud.jpg

amcnulty new to pools

Hello all. I am new to pools. I have recently bought a new (to me) home, it has a pool that hadn't been touched in about 10 years. Drained it, pressure washed it, had pool company pressure check plumbing, replace sand in filter and acid wash it. The pool looks great now. It currently has a hose filling it up (city water) and should be filled by tomorrow. That being said what next? There are no chemicals at all in it. The filter and pump have no water in it yet. I'm just not sure what my first steps should be. I currently do not have any water readings but i have ordered the Taylor k-2006. It should be here by Friday the 29 (3 days). I'm not sure if i just let everything sit until then or when water is up to the skimmers fill and start pump and filter...should I rinse the sand in the filter first? would it cloud the perfectly clear water if i didn't? So full of questions! I look forward to everyone's insight! Thank You!

Re: amcnulty new to pools

Add a splash of bleach every once in a while as it fills.

When the water fills up half way up the skimmer plate set your filter to rinse. Do it for about 3 mins. Keep adding water as this will send some of your water out.

After your rinse your filter turn it to pool. Make sure you turn the pump OFF before you turn anything on the filter. Always turn your filter handle in the same direction every time you turn it. That will help save the gasket under it.

Get some CYA-Walmart has it. It is called stabilizer. Just make sure it is CYA. You can go ahead and start adding it as the water goes in. Just hang it in a sock right where the water is coming out of the hose.

Once the pool is full and you are waiting for you test kit add a qt of bleach twice a day. Once your test kit gets there test and post up the results. We will go from there.

Kim

I always try to get chlorine in as soon as possible, I don't want the water sitting in the sun unprotected. But straight chlorine will not last long at all without stabilizer which comes under many names but is always cyanuric acid. Enter in your pool specs in the "PoolMath" link above, see how much to add. Stabilizer is slow to dissolve, the above mentioned sock is a great idea. After the pool is filled and running then I would test and balance the water. Oh, don't forget to read up in "Pool School" where everything you need to start is available.

Have fun!

Oh WOW! :shock:

What a great first couple of posts! Welcome to TFP:wave:

THAT, is a lot of pool. 55K is most certainly on the large side. Look forward to seeing what you have to work with water wise. Great move on getting a good kit right off. I'm subscribing so I don't miss the rest. Thanks for posting up some pics right off, we love that too. :goodjob:

Welcome to TFP!

It is important to always keep the chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA or algae will start to grow. Chlorine CYA Chart

Keep chlorine in the pool always
After the pump is running adjust PH and add CYA in a sock in the skimmer.

We can work on TA and CH later.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kimkats it really was its own ecosystem! We were able to relocate them. There is a farmer down the road from us, he allowed us to put them in his pond. We also took a bunch of them to a local petting zoo/animal rescue for their pond. Hopefully they are all well and happy lol! As far as all the bush goes my husband and i cut it down and my daughters hauled it out!
We add stabilizer yesterday as well as a qt of bleach last night and on my way outside now to and a qt more!

- - - Updated - - -

brush not bush =0

Good job! At least you tried to save them. We have a pond and several people who close their pools with winter covers bring their tadpoles to our house to release them in our pond. The otters LOVE to eat the frogs.

Kim

Today's pool adventure... We found the old pool light gasket was shot. The light was out dated and those particular gaskets aren't made anymore (says the pool store). So we decided to go with a LED light. It was installed and kept throwing the breaker. Hmmm new breakers. Not such a bad idea since we didn't know how old they were, as well as, how long the lid to the outdoor breaker box was off (it was missing when we moved in...found it in the tree line lol). We went to the Lowes picked up new breakers. The husband installed them...we turn it on...the breaker trips again. Hmmm he realized the wiring between the breaker box and the light box must be compromised. So spent the day running wire through conduit, digging a trench and finally hooking the new light up and guess what? The breaker didn't trip!!

We've continued to add bleach twice a day as suggested. The water is still currently crystal clear hoping we keep it that way until the test kit gets in!pool led.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.