So much bleach...still cloudy...burning through FC.

Onslow

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 11, 2010
Kentucky
So I've spent about $40 this week attacking a cloudy pool. Getting it and keeping it at recommended shock is a bear and it seems to drop down to between 5-10 in less than a day.

I am scrubbing and vacuuming...could be doing a better job but I don't remember anything like this two years ago.

Been adding DE to the sand filter too. Two years ago I did that and used some Leslie's clarifier an the pool cleared in about three days. Did the same this year but (unlike two years ago) a cannot see the blue specks circulating in the water when passing over a white ladder. So I don't want to dump another bottle of that stuff in.

On a good note: I can start to see the floor so there is slight improvement. My question is (other than getting ready of the &%^&%! cloudiness - why is FC disappearing so fast within the day?

Here are numbers thus far.

FC* 18-20
CC* 20
pH - 8.0 (didn't know this til this evening - three+ year old reagent so not sure if that has anything to do with it)
TA - 70
CH - not ran
CYA - 40

* I'm having to use the Taylor "multiplier" system for FC until I can get a FAS-DPD test.

Thanks in advance.

Well since you do not have the FAS-DPD test, hard to say if you are really following the SLAM process with the correct FC level.

Have you ordered it yet? Along with at least new pH reagent?

Only 2 things cause a loss in FC; the sun, and stuff in the water.

With the high CC number there is a fair chance you have Ammonia in the water, you can confirm this with an Ammonia test kit sold in most pet stores in the fish dept. Ammonia eats lots of chlorine very fast, the solution is to keep adding more chlorine until it holds, we have been seeing a lot of this lately for some reason.

With the high CC number there is a fair chance you have Ammonia in the water, you can confirm this with an Ammonia test kit sold in most pet stores in the fish dept. Ammonia eats lots of chlorine very fast, the solution is to keep adding more chlorine until it holds, we have been seeing a lot of this lately for some reason.

Well this has been a fascinating angle to pursue. I found some forum topics and an Internet article that deal with this. Full disclosure: The pool went uncovered over the winter and saw more than its share of algae. I started a few weeks ago with 0 CYA.

With that being said this article (and your comment made) perfect sense.

Swimming Pool Startup Tips - response to Problem #1.

Lots of TFP on this subject ... had no idea.

Ammonia every spring start up
...among others.

I'm starting to get a lot more clear water today but still got some work to do. Seeing a light at the end of the tunnel though - thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.