Beaded Liner comes completely off

May 25, 2015
Hollidaysburg
Looking for some advice on a problem I am having.

4 seasons ago I installed an above ground pool. I did the install myself and was very particular about the install. I used a laser transit for all of my work and the the pool was as level as you could get it. The base was 2 inches of crushed limestone and 2 inches of sand. I installed wall padding, base cove and a gorilla liner as well as a top of the line liner. My hopes were to get it right and enjoy trouble free use for years. This has not been the case. The first and second year were fine but the third spring brought disaster. Right around memorial day last year the beaded liner came off the track all the way around the inside of the pool ans the contents of the pool came out under the walls taking with them a lot of sand and stone as well as almost all of the footings (btw this was prior to opening the pool). I tore the whole thing down, bought a new liner and rebuilt it from scratch. We were told that to much water got on top of the cover during the winter, pushed water behind the liner and floated the liner. So at the end of last season and throughout the winter and spring we were diligent about keeping the water off the cover. HERE WE GO AGAIN! 2 days ago I looked at the pool and the cover was bone dry and everything seemed to be in great shape. Yesterday morning we woke up with plans to open the pool and found that during the night the same thing had happened. The beaded liner came out of the track all the way around the pool and the pool was completely empty. This time it looks like the footing survived and we just lost sand and base. We are thinking about repairing the base and sand and starting the pool again but not if this problem cant be corrected.

Here is my only thought on what might be happening. Since this has happened the same time both the third and forth year and remembering back, I opened the pool very early the second year so it would not have seen warmer temperatures while under cover, my thought is that the hot temperatures under the cover are causing the beaded liner track to become soft and bend, allowing the liner to pull out.

That is just my theory but if anyone has seen anything like this in the past or has another theory Im all ears. My wife told me to tear it down this year along with the 10k deck I built on it and I talked her into letting me salvage it one last time. If you your wives are anything like mine you will understand that this is the last time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Look for a product called Pool Liner Lock. Once installed, it will hold the bead in the track no matter what.

Thank you for your response and the recommendation on the product. It seems like something I should have used in the first place. I wonder if anyone on here has had this same type of problem and can spin some possible causes by me. I like to understand the problem as well as correct it.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.