HELP!! Havy rainfall...now what's wrong??

First Pool Judith

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2014
Georgetown, Texas
We're in Austin, TX and have been getting massive amount of rain. My pool looked fine this morning. Now the water looks very cloudy - I can hardly see the Polaris at the bottom. If I had to guess, I think the water from my yard may have been running into my pool? Just a guess as we were not home today. What should I do?

Chlorine tested at 3 (normally keep it at 6.5)
Ph 7.8
Alkalinity tested at 50 - normally keep it around 80

Please advise. Should I shock??? This has never happened before so I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Yep, we been getting a lot of rain up this way as well.

First Pool Judith said:
Chlorine tested at 3 (normally keep it at 6.5)
Ph 7.8
Alkalinity tested at 50 - normally keep it around 80

What are you using to test with? One of the parameters that is missing from your results is CYA (a.k.a., stabilizer) . The amount of chlorine you need to maintain depends on the CYA level as illustrated here: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Now for what is causing the cloudiness, it very well could be runoff. Keep in mind that runoff can introduce microbes into the pool. If your chlorine is too low for your CYA, that can give algae an opportunity to gain a foothold. The proper amount of chlorine, and chlorine alone, will prevent algae. That's why we need to know the CYA level so we can determine if your current chlorine level is adequate.

Three things I would recommend: (1) Remove as much debris as you can from the pool. This will reduce the chlorine demand, (2) Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, and (3) read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry article.

If rainwater is flooding your pool, there is nothing to do until it stops. It will be a long process to clean out usually.

Post a pic in the AM and let's see how bad it is.......I doubt you can help it tonight.

I think you are fine. I've had some heavy rains do that to. Just keep your FC up and run the filter 24/7 until the pool is crystal again.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd elevate the FC to 8 for a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will pass with a little extra TLC. I agree no need to shock unless algae . Filter extra to remove yard run-off. Might even consider dump 10% and hope for less rain. Truth is all TX needed the rain to bad it came all at once. Some people suffered family losses so sad. Anyway, I suggest dump excess up to 10% filter lots, If large stuff then vac or basket out. Then adjust chemicals as usual. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.