New here, Need Advice

May 9, 2015
Sanford, NC
Need advice! I'm new here! My chlorine was very high for about a week. It has finally calmed down. But now my TA is 0. What should I do to raise the TA without messing anything up? Please help! Thanks in advance[emoji4]
Here are my numbers~

TC~ 5
FC~ 5
PH~ 7
TA~0
CYA~ 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!

First question I have is, what are you testing with? I've never seen a test result of zero for TA, so that has me a little suspect.

Baking soda will increase TA but we need a high confidence level that what you are using to test is accurate before we can tell you how much to add.

901bc5111bde467e276b2df0b5fe8c4d.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

We here at TFP have very little confidence in test strips. They are known to be wildly inaccurate, as bad if not worse than pool store testing. This is why we always recommend you purchase a high quality test kit, either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006. Accept no substitutes. In Pool School there is a section on these test kits. Strongly suggested that you read up on it. While we don't usually suggest that you use pool store testing, in this case it would do you good to have them test a sample while you are waiting for your test kit to arrive (hint that you should buy one!). This will give us a better idea of where your pool is at chemically.

Thanks for your quick response and excellent pics.

I kinda' suspected you were using the strips. They are simply not precise enough to follow our methods. For example, note the range on TA...it goes from 0 to 40. In reality, your TA could be anywhere in between that. Yes, it's still low in either case. But there's not enough precision there for us to tell you how much baking soda you need to add to get it to where it needs to be.

I would suggest you get one of the Recommended Test Kits if you are serious about taking control of managing your pool.

Also, to give you an overview of the TFP process, I would suggest reading these two articles: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Ok great!! Thanks so much for your help! I am def going to buy one of the recommended test kits[emoji4] and I'll get back to you on my new test results[emoji106]?

AG, Sand Filter, 18' round, 52" deep, vinyl liner

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best bang for your buck would be the TF-100, from TFtestkits.net. More of the supplies you will use most often than in the K-2006. Same items, just more of them for little more $$. Also that's the best place to buy refills for either kit.

While you are waiting for your kit, please do read in pool school for what chemical levels work best for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.