TDS mumbo jumbo @ Leslies

Bowlin

May 4, 2007
Kannapolis, NC
SO I being unsure about my CYA reading decided I'd take my pool water to Leslies Pool and boy let me tell you what. Id rather get my on results via my test kit than rely on them thats for sure but!!!!!! TDS, total dissolved solids they got me scracthing head how do they test for that?

Been there, done that! No one will give you the accurate results you need other than simply doing it yourself with one of TFP's recommended kits. I learned that last year and haven't looked back. If you have any questions, see my signature for links or just ask someone in this thread. Everyone here is happy to assist.

TDS stands for total dissolved solids. It is measured with an inexpensive electronic tester. The thing is that TDS measurements, even if accurate (which is uncommon) knowing TDS is not useful. TDS covers the total of too many different things, some of which are no problem and some of which are serious trouble. Without knowing which is which, the measurement is useless.

Forget about TDS, if it were important in keeping a sanitary and sparkling troublefree pool, we would be on the watch for it. But it isn't and we don't.

To properly test your CYA.
Go outside in natural light
Turn your back to the sun
hold the test tube at waist level
Squirt the test solution into the test tube until the black dot disappears

Most of us pour the solution from the tube back into the squirt bottle and repeat the test a few times so we can be sure our firts reading wasnt a false one.
Of Note. Its important that the water be above 70F. If it isnt, then bring the water inside and let it warm up to room temperature, then do the test.

Thats all there is to it. Trust your test kit and test correctly and it will give you the true CYA value.

Its pretty much that simple.

Forget about TDS, if it were important in keeping a sanitary and sparkling troublefree pool, we would be on the watch for it. But it isn't and we don't.

To properly test your CYA.
Go outside in natural light
Turn your back to the sun
hold the test tube at waist level
Squirt the test solution into the test tube until the black dot disappears

Most of us pour the solution from the tube back into the squirt bottle and repeat the test a few times so we can be sure our firts reading wasnt a false one.
Of Note. Its important that the water be above 70F. If it isnt, then bring the water inside and let it warm up to room temperature, then do the test.

Thats all there is to it. Trust your test kit and test correctly and it will give you the true CYA value.

Its pretty much that simple.
All that being said I agree the testing we do is the one to go by and now I will say never to the Leslie test as my numbers and hers were very diff, swhe said my TA was 100, and I am getting 40
she said my ph was 8 and I am getting 7.2, so that being said, and I have been here for years but I never asked this question, so here goes
MY CYA test has never been very good by me but I do think I am pretty low, however today I added about 4 lbs of dichlor(chlor brite) and have used some trichlor(clorox via wally world) pucks since opening about 2 weeks ago, my cya test just a few mins ago didn't even measure yet, how long does the stablizer from those 2 products take to show up in pool, as I have 4 lbs of cya to still add and figure on doing so tonight

CYA from the pucks will not register until after all the puck has dissolved, same with the dichlor. Don't add anymore, wait a couple of days and test the CYA again. The amount of CYA per puck is around 6-8ppm so if you only use a couple a week it would take a while to have used enough that they would register on the test, since the lowest testable level other than 0 is 20ppm and there is an error rate of =/- 10ppm.

The TDS test was somewhat useful once upon a time when comparing two pools that both used the same municipal water supply, but is pointless today when we have individual tests for CYA, CH and Salt each of which make up part of the TDS .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.