Trying to find pump manual

Frayed

Aug 2, 2013
Eastern WA
I inherited a pool when I bought my house a few years ago. After replacing the vinyl liner and a few other things it's been smooth sailing until this year. My sand media filter is apparently kaput and is blowing sand into the pool if the pump is running. I'm thinking of taking advantage of this "opportunity" to justify replacing my sand media filter with a cartridge filter since I've read that they provide better filtration. However, I'm trying to make sure that I size my filter correctly. My pump is a Jacuzzi Magnum Plus 1.0 HP, so I'm hoping to track down the specs on this bad boy so I can make sure whatever filter I put behind it is up to the job.

Photo of my pump.
Imgur

Thanks for any help/info!

I would not say that a cartridge is better than sand. The each have pros and cons. Both kinds are able to get the water just as clean, though a sand filter takes longer to get there. Cartridges use way less water (no backwashing), but are a bit more work to clean (which really bothers a few people).

No backwashing would be a huge pro for me, due to possible legal trouble if any of my backwash makes it into the storm drains - which is a real danger if I have to backwash for very long. Definitely part of the reason I see this as an opportunity to switch systems!

There is no backwashing for a cartridge filter. But, it takes quite a bit of water to clean the filters. At least 35-45 minutes of the hose running full blast to clean the cartidges in my filter. Some people are able to clean their large filters once per year. We have lots of trees and usually have to clean twice in spring and three times in fall. This spring is worse than normal with rain and pollen and I've had to clean four times this spring.

I would ask if when you back flush do you have a rinse capability with your control valve.
depending on your filter size mine 300 lbs sand takes 3 minutes back flush and 30 seconds
for the rinse cycle which goes to waste washes out most of the sand.
after the back flush read pump pressure on filter head record that to your memory....
you should not need to back flush again until it goes over 10lbs above that flushed reading.
if your pool is 30,000 it may have a 400 lbs sand filter. clean sand can be vacuumed back into the filter.
when I inherited the pool I have, mine was pumping a lot of silt, not sand for the first 30 seconds.
rinse helped it a lot. the second best thing I did was to get the silt out. I connected up my
vacuum the night before, got up early first 30 seconds rinsed my filter and then vacuum out
what passed through the day before ran the filter setting to waste until pool bottom was clean.
that might help.

after thought; I had a 12 X 24 with filters. I would not 'ever' go back!

Last edited:
After some good reading here on TFP I realized that my pump size was irrelevant since I should "go big" when buying my filter. I opted for a Hayward C4030 425 Sq Ft. Originally I was looking at some much smaller filters which had me concerned about whether or not they could handle the volume of water from my pump. This filter will of course handle it no problem, and hopefully keep the # of cleanings I have to do to a minimum. My pool is a pretty serious swamp right now, as the weather has been quite nice and it's been completely without filtering for several weeks now.

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus (420 sq. ft.) and the cleanings are minimal (1-2 times per season - assuming no problems). Replaced the OEM cartridges with Pleatco cartridges and pump discharge pressure dropped (less pressure drop across Pleatco cartridges - more flow).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.