Any Help For Renters?

May 25, 2015
riverside,CA
Hello, I am a renter have been here 1yr and 3 months, came into the home because of what it had to offer being i am a grandmother that adopted four grandkids, husband and i were tired of dealing putting up our above ground pool every summer and taking down the 18ft by 4 in mid- October so we thought it would be a good thing to get into a home that had a pool, now i feel it has been nothing but problems, i am starting to look for another home hopefully with a pool, but for the mean time we are here i need to find a solution while still here,driving kids crazy they can't use the pool on some of our hot days here. water has been tested and it has been suggested to empty pool the CYA is high 130 Total dissolved Acid high130 Pool water volume is 27000 gal. and i am getting nowhere trying to communicate with the landlord about 6 months ago after i repeatedly mention to the her hired pool man, that i don't know to much about pools but from what i seen the pump was not running properly. On my own expense took a Pool class where they came in and showed me what i have and how everything functions to find out they wrote up on the pump, took the landlord a while but she send her hired pool man to rebuild the pump and to remove the old pool heater that had never worked and was leaving residue of medal in pool, and now with the drought and not able to drain the pool what am i to do? Help!!!

Welcome to TFP!

In CA, you may be able to find someone who offers Reverse Osmosis service. It's usually used for reducing calcium levels from the water but can also lower CYA. It's something to look into.

Welcome to TFP!

With high CYA you will need to maintain higher chlorine levels to avoid algae. Chlorine needs to be maintained in a ratio to your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Your minimum chlorine level is 10ppm and the target level is 15ppm. One of the biggest problems with having FC over 10 is that the PH test is not reliable. So you will need to let your FC drop below 10 for PH testing.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Welcome to TFP! It must be frustrating for you paying rent and the landlord not caring about the condition of his pool.

Something I have not seen mentioned or I may have missed it in your post.
Do you have a recommended test kit?

You have been given some great reading material!

May I ask a question- according to your rental agreement, whose responsibility is it to maintain the pool?

Welcome renter777...

Where did you get your water tested? Many here have found the pool stores to be less than reliable, when it comes to water testing. Regarding your CYA, it may be 130, but it could be higher or lower. If you intend to stay in this house, or move into another with a swimming pool, you will find that having your own test kit will help immeasurably.

How is your pool sanitized? Is it a saltwater pool or is it chlorinated with liquid chlorine (or God forbid, chlorine pucks in a chlorinator/floater)?

If it's necessary to drain the pool, you could try a partial drain. I'm not sure of the water restrictions in Riverside. We're a bit north of you, but we're allowed to refill up to 1ft, so you could (in theory) drain 1ft and refill, then repeat the process every week, other week or month. It will take longer obviously.