Results not consistent...what am I missing?

This is season 3 for us using TFP and wont have it any other way now. This is the first time we have opened with 0 CYA so Im thrown off my confidence a bit. We always add 3G 8% bleach when we open and top off because we are on a well. So our first test results were 4.5FC; 6.8pH; 120TA; 0CYA. That was two days ago. Water temp is 60-65 - lower for NE Ga this time of year but from everything i have found on the forum temp shouldnt make much difference in CYA readings. Yesterdays readings were back at 0 for FC and again for CYA and didnt have any stabilizer on hand but did have 3 lbs of trichlor shock. Pool calculator showed application affect for 32 oz of trichlor to up my CYA by 11. Applied 1lb of the shock and 2G 8% bleach at 8:30am. Tested again at 1:30 FC back to 0. Added another 1lb shock and 3G bleach. The final test of the day at 8 pm gave me 5 FC and I was figuring a tentative CYA at 11 since it probably wouldnt register. This morning, we could see the bottom although not completely clear and FC 1.5. We vacuumed and backwashed then added the other pound of shock. Our 12:30 test gave us a FC 5. All that being said should I continue my SLAM levels while "socking" the recommended stabilizer this week and just wait it out and test every couple of hours as I normally would? However, since the water is still not clear, I expect dead algae blooms to be on the bottom that I typically would vacuum out and backwash but Im not supposed to backwash for the week after stabilizer dosage. Whats the best protocol?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The test only goes down to 20 for Cya if you are using the TF100.

You are simply using up the FC you are putting in the pool with the organics in there. You need to complete a SLAM procedure is all. Follow it to the letter, and you'll get cleared up. It just takes some Chlorine and some time. If you added enough Cya in the sock to get you 30 PPM, assume it is there and get started.

Your pH is a little low and I would suggest brining it up to at least 7.2 You can use Soda ash or Borax for this. Use Pool Math to figure the dose. Get this straight before you SLAM. The pH test is no good above 10 PPM FC.

If you have "0" CYA it is entirley possible that over the winter your CYA was converted to ammonia. Do you have a CC reading?

To test this theory add sufficient liquid chlorine to get you rFC up to 5. With the pump running re-test is 30 minutes to see the FC level.

Report the results

The ammonia monster ate all of your CYA. This is happen quite a bit this winter. No one quite sure why but........It can be overcome with bleach and lots of it.

At first it will eat it within 10 mins! Then you move to 30 mins. then you get to move to 1 hour! You will know you have turned the corner when you can go 2 whole hours without losing all of your FC.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!

kim

Thanks for yalls input and recommendations. Since my last post have continued testing about every 3 hours. My mid day FC was actually 9 (instead of 5) after my last dose of shock in early morning. After reading through replies and testing at 3, i got FC 7 CC 0.5. I left my FC alone so I could get my pH up. I added about half the recommended application of 20 Mule Borax to raise my pH to "7.3" and socked the recommended 5 lbs stabilizer (taking into account "8.4ppm" adjustment from 3lb of shock) for CYA. My 6pm tests came back with a slight pH increase (not at 6.8 but not at 7.2) FC 6; CC 0.5 - thats improvement across the board with only a 1 FC drop in three hours so I think I am headed in the right direction. Hopefully the rain coming in doesnt throw everything out of whack. Will update in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.