Mastertemp E05 error

Is the heater actually firing for 30 sec and shutting off? or is the fan just running? If your heater fires, it may be something other than the electronics, it would appear the heater is actually working, and you have a problem (physical), that is shutting the heater down (safety switches are saying something is wrong). When you say the temp displays 0, is that the stack flue temp (holding the spa or pool button for 10 sec)? You may have a sooted or scaled exchanger. You could also try checking the SFS setting on the board. It was probably set correctly (obviously) originally, but could have been changed either by a human, or changed itself to a stack flue switch. I have seen where a board actually changed itself, probably through a power outage, lightning strike nearby, or a "brown out". The fact that you are getting a 0 temp reading suggests that this may have happened. If the water temp is in the mid to high 80's, it could be a therm-bypass. Or could be a Fenwall failure, or even an igniter that isn't rectifying. All these things will allow the heater to run for a short time then shut off.

Since im not there, i can't tell you with any certainty that any of these things are the cause. I'm just throwing things out there for you to check.

On back of control board, led flashes, after 10 seconds it ignites and stay ignited for about 30 seconds then shuts down. The sfs led is then lit. I replaced the sfs sensor and same thing with E05 code.

When I hold down spa or pool button, it gives me a reading of 0 and never changes. Even when fired.

Mike5104, did you order a new control board? You mentioned earlier you were waiting for it to arrive?

Where about in Plainfield do you live? I lived there for 30+ years before moving to FL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the old one you replaced have wire leads on it as well as the new one? Not sure how old your system is.
Make sure the unit has power and then press and hold the off button.

Then the system should display either AD0 or AD1.

Release the off button and just press it once. It should read either SF0 or SF1.

SF1 is the sensor with the wire leads on it. If that is what you have then the boar is setup correctly. If it reads SF0 and you need to change it to SF1.

To change it press one of the up down buttons to change it.

Then press the off button once to set it.

I think those are the right steps.

My unit is about 4 years old. It has power to the unit. I held the off button for over 30 seconds and nothing on display.

The SFS sensor that I replaced had 2 white wires coming from it. Part number 42002-0024s

The control board that I was thinking of purchasing is 42002-0007s, but I don't want to spend money on it if it's not the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.