Intex 13 x 39 above ground, very new to this.

May 25, 2015
Boston MA
Hello all -

I read what is need to answer my post - am pasting that below.

The size of your pool in gallons 2000 gallons If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) above ground, Intex metal frame 13 x 39
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass viynl
The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) cartridge that came w/ pool.
If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions - regular Boston water. :)

So we just set the pool up. It's currently filling but not sure if I should even be at that point yet! We have a bunch of "shock" supplies but I am looking to see what I need to do first.
What is the best test kit to get for such a small pool?
In reading some of the stuff here, I see some people use bleach, baking soda and borax.
Is that better than using the other chemicals?
Does anyone know which would be least harmful for a baby? He's 1 and will probably go in using a float. I don't want to put him in if it isn't safe.
Do you need to know the other chemicals we already have?
We are in Boston so we are used to it being freezing and this is only our 2nd pool. I am sure we really screwed it up last year (this is a different pool...that one got a hole in it). We just used the little bags and the algae stuff and hoped for the best last year. I am hoping to do it right this time.
Thanks in advance!!

Hello all -

I read what is need to answer my post - am pasting that below.

The size of your pool in gallons 2000 gallons If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground) above ground, Intex metal frame 13 x 39
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass viynl
The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) cartridge that came w/ pool.
If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions - regular Boston water. :)

So we just set the pool up. It's currently filling but not sure if I should even be at that point yet! We have a bunch of "shock" supplies but I am looking to see what I need to do first.

What is the best test kit to get for such a small pool?
In reading some of the stuff here, I see some people use bleach, baking soda and borax.
Is that better than using the other chemicals?
Does anyone know which would be least harmful for a baby? He's 1 and will probably go in using a float. I don't want to put him in if it isn't safe.
Do you need to know the other chemicals we already have?
We are in Boston so we are used to it being freezing and this is only our 2nd pool. I am sure we really screwed it up last year (this is a different pool...that one got a hole in it). We just used the little bags and the algae stuff and hoped for the best last year. I am hoping to do it right this time.
Thanks in advance!!

We like bleach and we SLAM here not shock.
I have the TF 100 kit and love it!
Yes, bleach, borax, MA, baking soda are what we recommend here.
It will not harm the baby
Yes, please tell us what chemicals you have now.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to say, Welcome to TFP!

Thank you!

We have the HTH products.

HTH Pool & Spa HTH Sock It Shock 'N Swim
The Chlorine Tablets
Algae eliminator

Your welcome.
Get rid of the HTH products. The only HTH product we recommend is the Stablizer with the purple cap to raise CYA if needed.

You could keep the chlorine tabs in the event you have to float them when going out of town for a few days and no one can maintain the FC levels for you.

Get rid of the Algae eliminator too. That is what bleach is for.

If your containers are unopened I would return them and pick up the HTH Stablizer with the purple cap.

Thanks AZgirl71. So, really stupid question. Again, we pretty much have 0 clue. We are filling it up. I buy a test kit. For 2000 gals what #'s am I looking for? Once I see the results - what in the world do we do then? Bleach...baking soda and borax? How much, how often etc? We shouldn't use the all in one bags?

Thanks AZgirl71. So, really stupid question. Again, we pretty much have 0 clue. We are filling it up. I buy a test kit. For 2000 gals what #'s am I looking for? Once I see the results - what in the world do we do then? Bleach...baking soda and borax? How much, how often etc? We shouldn't use the all in one bags?

No question is stupid except the one not asked...lol

Order your test kit. There is a link in my signature for the TF 100

After pool is full and filter is running for now add 2ppm of bleach a day until you have your test kit and we can get good numbers. Also brush your pool with a pool broom.

Don't add anything else until you have your kit and numbers. Then post them here.

This is the link to the pool math calculator. This is how you determine what to add and how much.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

- - - Updated - - -

Can you update your signature with your pool and equipment info. This can be done in settings.

I think your pool is much larger than 2000 gallons. You said it said it was 13x39 correct? How deep is it?

Just wanted to say hi! I have the same pool you do and I've been using the TFP method taught on this site with it since 2012, though I wouldn't consider myself one of the resident pool chemistry experts. ;) I come back here to refresh myself with the "Pool School" lessons every spring. Trust the process and the advice given here and you'll be off to a great start with taking care of your pool.

By the way, definitely order the recommended TF-100 test kit. Others can explain why it's better than test kits you can get at your local store. It might seem expensive, but it will save you money in the long run because you won't be running out and buying lots of the HTH (and other "pool store") chemicals. :)

Here's my pool (on the left, in a past summer using the TFP method, and on the right, where I started yesterday after putting it up on Saturday -- lots of residual algae from last fall -- yuck! Currently in the process of cleaning that up...):
poolbeforeafter.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I think your pool is much larger than 2000 gallons. You said it said it was 13x39 correct? How deep is it?

According to the PoolMath pool volume calculator, a pool that size is about 3200 gallons. 39" is 3.25 feet, so the pool is 13' x 3.25' (numbers for TracyBoston to plug into the calculator :) ).

Copied this directly from ebay store that was selling same pool.

12' x 39" Metal Frame Above-Ground Pool:

• Above ground pool
  • 530-gallon filter pump
  • Ladder with barrier
  • 90% fill rate
  • Holds 2,270 gallons
  • Metal frame
  • Dimensions: Package Dims: (L) 18" x (W) 14 2/8" x (H) 39 7/8"

Just wanted to say hi! I have the same pool you do and I've been using the TFP method taught on this site with it since 2012, though I wouldn't consider myself one of the resident pool chemistry experts. ;) I come back here to refresh myself with the "Pool School" lessons every spring. Trust the process and the advice given here and you'll be off to a great start with taking care of your pool.

According to the PoolMath pool volume calculator, a pool that size is about 3200 gallons. 39" is 3.25 feet, so the pool is 13' x 3.25' (numbers for TracyBoston to plug into the calculator :) ).

Never mind. I wee now 13' x 39"....lol

Hmmm. In reading reviews I am seeing the filter may not be great either. This is from a review: The flimsy filter they package with it only moves 530 gallons / hr. Which, in the customer service representative's words "is the bare minimum for the 13 foot pool".
That doesn't sound encouraging. :(

- - - Updated - - -

AZgirl - oh geez. No I'm sorry. It's this pool right here:

attachment.php

Its 13 ft by 39 inches tall!

Attachments

• 6f1681f2-1f92-4b32-a9da-7b9bae7b3a04.jpg
    6f1681f2-1f92-4b32-a9da-7b9bae7b3a04.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 121

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may want to upgrade your pump. That is small. I chose to ditch the cartrige filters and go with a sand filter

- - - Updated - - -

No worries. I had a slight brain lapse...lol

- - - Updated - - -

You can get larger cartrige pump filters also.

Tracy, how wide is your pool? Your sig line says 12' but your post says 13'? That will make a difference in calculations.

As to the 530 gal./hour "cheapie" Intex pump... I will say that our first one lasted 3 seasons (primarily running June through August) and had to be replaced with a new one of the same type last summer. If I had unlimited funds (not to say that a better one is insanely expensive or something), I'd probably upgrade for sure, but the current cheap one is still running, so... :) If you can afford to upgrade, definitely take the plunge as there are some advantages for sure. I'm thinking that when this one dies, we'll go in for a better one.

Yes...this is the same pool! You said you follow the method on here. I am looking at it now. Is this method as good / better than the bleach/baking soda/borax option AND more importantly which is safer for kids / babies?

Step 1
You will need a simple 2way test kit that can commonly be found at your local MegaMart. This will allow you to test your pH level and your Chlorine Level. This test kit runs around $10. Will be going to get this in an hour or 2.

Step 2
Using the chart on Intex website figure out how many gallons your pool is. Your instruction manual may tell you this. Gonna double ck but I think it's 2270? Is that what yours is?

Step 3
For this step you will need Cyanuric Acid (CYA) to help protect the chlorine from the sun. This too can be found commonly at the local MegaMart sold in 3lb or 4lb containers. Using the PoolMath calculator add enough CYA to raise your level to 40PPM. With this being a “fresh fill” your CYA level will be zero to start with, so there is no need to test at this point. This is a stabilizer?

Step 4
Test your pH level, and using the PoolMath calculator adjust the level to be between 7.2-7.8. I am putting 2200 gallons into the calculator and pretty sure I'm not using it properly! It isn't doing anything. Which #'s am I supposed to be putting in there?

Step 5

Next test your Chlorine level, and adjust to 4ppm. Using unscented household bleach daily raise your FC level to sanitize your pool.

Step 6
Daily you should test and adjust your pH and Chlorine level to make sure the levels stay at a good rate for pool care. To do this test using your OTO kit and PoolMath calculator. Make sure your Chlorine level always stays above 3ppm at all times. Failing to keep the pool properly sanitized will quickly result in green water. Pumps and filters in these pools are often undersized and make it very difficult to clear once the water starts to turn cloudy. By keeping your chlorine levels above 3 at all times will help kill off any organics in the water.

Step 7
If for any reason the water becomes cloudy or green, drain the water and scrub with a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. After that start over from Step 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry it's 13!

You aren't going to want to put anything in your pool until you get a good test kit so that you know what's going on in the water. I'd follow Azgirl71's advice that she posted above.

In terms of test kits, yeah, you can get away with the HTH-6 Way Test Kit as posted on the "Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools" page. If you run into trouble with your pool chemistry and can't fix it, the pool is small enough to where you easily can drain it, wash it all out, and start over if you don't want to go through a SLAM to try to clean up the mess.

However, with 3200 gallons, it's basically on the fence between being small enough to get away with the seasonal pool instructions and large enough to be a bit of a pain to start over (especially with waiting for new water to heat up again). Therefore, you have a choice. You can get the TF-100 kit (which will be a lot more accurate than the 6-Way kit) and read/study the "Pool School" section, and care for your pool the same way that people with larger pools take care of theirs. The method and chemicals used are the same. However, more accurate testing tools will make for better/possibly faster results. :) A moderator can probably explain the differences better than I can.

Not trying to sell you anything (just a member here!), but if you read around the forum (especially on the awesome "save my swampy pool!" threads), you'll see why the TF-100 is recommended. :)

The TFP way of caring for a pool is the safest and best for all humans, babies and adults. By you testing everyday and adjusting the chemical levels every day you are making sure your pool is the cleanest it can be.

Using the pool store to test is the worst way to maintain a pool. It depends on you taking the time to run the water down to the store and hoping the person does the test the correct way AND hoping the machine is calibrated correctly. A pool store test is not really free because they will want to sell you all kinds of stuff you do not need.

PLEASE order a good test kit like one of the ones in my siggy below. It is FAR better than any sold in the store.

Shop around for your best price on bleach. Some find it at Walmart (plain, greater value brand), some at Sam's (chlorex) and some at the pool store. Just make sure to check the % and date stamp.

If you are not convinced do a search on the active ingredients of the "shock" and pucks. They are really just solid or powder "bleach" so........

Kim

In pool math calculator. You will put 0FC for current and put 2 in for goal. Then make sure the drop menu near the bottom is set on trouble free pool.

This will tell you exactly how much to add.

I just went to pool math. According to that your pool is 3500 gallons you want to account for not being able to fill all the way to the top, so your gallons should actually be 3300. Not what you have in your signature.
You will add 9.8 ozs round up to 10 ozs of 8.25% bleach a day for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you pour bleach with your arm held out slowly in front of the return with the pump on. If poured to fast you will bleach your liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.