Algae Problem in spite of good OCLT numbers

Apr 23, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
I would like your opinion about my algae situation. I pass the OCLT (FC was 5 last night and 4.5 this morning), my water is clear, and my CC is 0. But I have algae on the walls and creases in places where my pool robot misses. Any suggestions? My current numbers are: FC 4.5, CC 0, pH 7.8, TA 90, CH 100, CYA 40.
Here is some background. Mid April I SLAMed the pool. Then put Triclor in the feeder because we were going to be out of town for several weeks. When we came back we had some algae but we had also had tons of rain so I figured the chlorine just didn't keep up. So I shocked (not SLAM) the pool. All was well for a week and then the algae came back. So I guess I need to SLAM again but I don't understand why my numbers are spot on but I have algae.

I would like your opinion about my algae situation. I pass the OCLT (FC was 5 last night and 4.5 this morning), my water is clear, and my CC is 0. But I have algae on the walls and creases in places where my pool robot misses. Any suggestions? My current numbers are: FC 4.5, CC 0, pH 7.8, TA 90, CH 100, CYA 40.
Here is some background. Mid April I SLAMed the pool. Then put Triclor in the feeder because we were going to be out of town for several weeks. When we came back we had some algae but we had also had tons of rain so I figured the chlorine just didn't keep up. So I shocked (not SLAM) the pool. All was well for a week and then the algae came back. So I guess I need to SLAM again but I don't understand why my numbers are spot on but I have algae.
If it as you describe, the water is not clear. Clear water means you see no visible algae.

Shocking doesn't work Time to SLAM

Thanks. I will start SLAMing tonight. I have one quick question about the OCLT. When I am not in the slam process my filter does not run at night. So, independent of the slam process, does the filter need to be running when doing the overnight chlorine test or does it matter for accuracy. It was not running last night or this morning when I got my reading. Also, Lisa, I enjoyed reading your SLAM process. Very informative.

Guessing just a bit but it sounds like you may not be brushing enough. Algae can thrive down in cracks and hidey holes where the circulating chlorine cannot get to it. Unless you are already doing so, be sure to brush frequently during the SLAM and then make it part of your normal maintenance routine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.