Guess what I did!!!

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
I had to go drain water off my pool this morning due to heavy rain. Well, I got distracted by my toddler and after turning it off forgot to turn it back to filter. So, when my pump turned on via timer it was on waste. Woohooooo! It had drained already below the jets. Oh well. I needed to do another drain to get my cya down further anyways. I hadn't gotten the chance to do my FC test yet though so I am wondering if I need to add some bleach to stay on safe side but my pump can't run yet. Ughh!

Somebody in my house did that in 2013. It drained overnight while left on waste. Boy this skimmers looked like big mean open mouth monsters laughing at me when I went outside that morning.

If you do add bleach without circulation, you can always pre-dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket and the broadcast it around the the sides of the pool. Follow that up with a good brushing and/or some surface skimming with a leaf rake and you should be good to go. Get your water back up ASAP.

Funny story - I had the opposite happen to me. I was refilling the pool after a small drain to correct some high salt issues and I left the garden hose in there too long. My 3-yr old needed some attention (what 3-yr old doesn't, right?!?) and I totally forgot about the hose. Well, suffice it to say the concrete decking got a good flood washing....and my wallet really, REALLY hurt after the water bill showed up that month :(

good luck!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.