I just bought a rheem propane heater

Welcome to the forum Sheila!! :wave:

Yes, they do, and they are for a professional to install to be safe. Call a qualified Pool Equipment outfit to get this done for you. It really is important.

Glad you found us, and enjoy your time on TFP!

There are some pool heaters called millivolt models that don't need an electrical hookup because they generate their own electricity (very low voltage) from the heat of the pilot light.

It's a good suggestion that you get a qualified installer to install. If you want to scope out what will be needed in the way of gas, electric or exhaust requirements, you should go to the Rheem pool heater site and download a pdf of the installation manual. That will cover all the parameters of installation.

I have the millivolt heater from Raypack. The propane guys brought in the tank, ran the line in the trench I had dug ( call dig safe first!!) and they connected the propane to heater as well as making sure it worked correctly.
I did the plumbing to add into my system. (After the filter but before the SWCG.)

No electric lines but the down side is it uses propane always- the pilot always stays lit. If I change heaters I will go with a non millivolt system to save fuel.

No electric lines but the down side is it uses propane always- the pilot always stays lit.
If you are not going to use the heater for an extended period of time, you can always shut off the pilot. There should be a control on the heater to do this. This should also shut off the gas to the heater. For an extra margin of safety, you can turn the gas line shut-off valve that goes to the heater to the off position as well (they should have installed this on the line that goes to the heater - in the vicinity of the heater). Of course, doing this means that you will have to relight the pilot when you want to use the heater.

This is the process I follow on my gas heater in the garage - I light the pilot when I'm using it. When I'm not, I turn the heater controls off (which extinguishes the pilot) and also turn the gas line shut-off valve to the off position.

Exactly what I do- shut off the line, but it's a PIA to lay down and re lite when I'm ready to use it. I would prefer an electronic ignition tied to my easy touch panel, so I don't forget to turn it off and waste the propane. Ours is cheap but still don't want to waste it at $1.09 gal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.