Low Pool Pump Pressure Big Green Mess!!!

May 25, 2015
ohio
Hi,
I have been a pool owner for many years and I'm at a loss as to what to try next to solve my pool issues. I have a 17'X35' inground pool that is 12 years old. I have been battling low pump pressure since last year. I have replaced the pump with a brand new 1.25 hp Pentair pump, changed the sand in the Triton II filter system. All the parts in the sand tank are in good condition with no broke parts. The pump only out puts 6psi, with low out put on the 4 jets, the skimmer box has very little suction, vacuuming is impossible. I know I don't have a blockage in the skimmer line, we ran a snake through the line to eliminate this. When the pumps running the secondary basket fills up with no air at the lid. There are no bubbles coming out at the return jets and the pool is not losing water. I have spoken with many local pool technicians and they weren't able to help. I'd appreciate any advice on what to try next.
Thanks
Lisa

Welcome to TFP!

How new is the sand?
What test kit are you using?
Got some test results?

The most common problem with low water flow is an early algae bloom clogging the filter. The most common cause of an early algae bloom is high CYA and/or low chlorine level.

If the CYA is high the drain 30% of the water and see where you are.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Low output pressure and low flow sound like a partial blockage on the suction side of the pump, assuming the pressure gauge is installed in the normal filter location and is not broken. Often the easiest test for this is to rig a temporary suction inlet pipe to the pump from the pool assuming they are close together and in line of sight. Generally it only takes a couple of sections of 1.5 or 2 inch PVC a couple of eblow fittings and a threaded adapter, all total under $35 in parts for most pools.

hi lisalipo, here are a few suggestions. you may have air in your intake lines. last year I took one skimmer basket out and fed
the output line from the vacuum line into the skimmer and put the other on one jet. it pumped the air out the line to the filter.
then did the same to the other skimmer line.

one other thought is to try setting your filter valve to recirculate if your can read it on the valve. that alone might be enough
to clear it of the air once the water is moving fast enough with out restriction. close up one skimmer at a time, like a tennis ball
or use the vacuum line and close/cover it with your hand.

Hi,
I tested my water last night and the pH is 6.2, chlorine, alkalinity and stabilizer levels are zero. An advice you could give me on what chemicals I need to purchase to SLAM the pool back in to shape would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa

Please re-read post #3 above.
There is a link for the recommended pool chemicals a link to the SLAM process and other useful information. Please read the links and post back any questions you have about the process.

p.s. blue text is a clickable hyperlink to another page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.