Critterdoc calling the ball

critterdoc

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 11, 2008
30.0217 -090.2403
So there, that's what I do.

First please accept abundant mea culpas for my being a Pool Fool for thirty-something years. Yes Virginia, there IS life after too many cups and even more pucks than can be counted, but it won't be in the steenking pool store no'mo! Her Royal Highness, Free To A Good Home, came with the house many years ago and she depended on Pool Guys or the Pool Store for her care and feeding over all those years. When our nest emptied she was one of my largest PIAs and I began to suspect that she was in cahoots with the Pool Store. There were times when dynamite seemed like a reasonable option. Katrina kicked her butt hard, but other than her desperate need for a plaster redo her water has never looked better than it has in the last week since I discovered TFP and BBB. With luck my disdain for FTAGH will pass and perhaps we will even become friends again.

Duraleigh scored when he identified the [remarkable] energy that manifests itself in this group. Being a com junkie too, I'm looking forward to visiting often.

Been a critterdoc for nearly forty years - mostly companion animals - and in my early days also horses and zoo animals. It's been a good ride but it almost cratered me when the "business" aspects of practice went off the wire. Several years ago, in a moment of stunning yet terrifying genius, I instantly reduced my staff to absolute zero, drastically slowed down the 'business', and started having fun again when my wife of thirty-five years for the first time ever joined me full-time at the office. So I suppose we're one of the few remaining full service "mom 'n pop GP" veterinary hospitals.

I fully agree with Forum Admin SeanB's idea of sharing photos in a forum like this, so FWIW here's me and my best ever friend, Rafiki.

Attachments

• rafiki_n_me.jpg
    rafiki_n_me.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 349
Welcome to the forum critterdoc :wave:

Rafiki is beautiful and looks very content. Is that YOUR tree? It is amazing! :shock:

critterdoc said:
With luck my disdain for FTAGH will pass and perhaps we will even become friends again.
Too funny! You will fall in love with FTAGH and probably shorten her name to something like "Queenie" :mrgreen: The BBB method, TF 100 Kit from duraleigh, and the support from TFP will make your pool ownership fun and your water will always sparkle!

critterdoc said:
There were times when dynamite seemed like a reasonable option.
I predict that you will apologize to FTAGH for that! :)

Happy for you and your wife that you slowed down the business and started to have fun again. If you were closer, I'd bring my Bubba (11 YO yorkie) to see ya!

We're glad to have you, critterdoc! :lol:

Welcome! I was also struck by that beautiful tree. We have some like that in the Carolina lowcountry where I grew up, but not here in Florida. Sort of makes me homesick.

I also agree that I wish you were close enough for me to bring my best friend "Spot" to you.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Critterdoc, welcome to TFP!!

Glad that the pool's prognosis is now good :p (no risk of TNT poisoning) :wink:

On a more somber note - I think you need to contact your lawyer; gpm said
I was also struck by that beautiful tree.
- if your tree did indeed strike him, I fear you are liable for any damages :lol:

Now that you've been empowered to take care of the pool yourself - I hope it forever remains Trouble Free :goodjob:

Butterfly said:

Rafiki is beautiful and looks very content. Is that YOUR tree? It is amazing! :shock:
Well ya see, Rafiki left us 1.5 years ago. No vet in his right mind is going to easily bond with a Boxer because they tend to die at about 11 years old of cancer, and that is exactly what happened to the best and most loyal friend I ever had. I did not choose him, he chose me. He WAS content, right up until the end. Our time with the big guy was so good that we will probably never have another dog. Even beyond his earthly departure he remains with us and that is all that we need for the foreseeable future.

God no, that is not my tree. It's a whole other story but Hartford Insurance Company completely rebuilt my office after Katrina had her way with us. They asked me if they could feature me in their annual report as a completely satisfied customer, and I agreed, under the condition that our Best Boy would ride shotgun with me. The picture is one of many that were taken by Hartford's pro photographer under one of the many thousands of Live Oaks in City Park in New Orleans - and amongst the last that we have of him. Oak trees and pools are not my idea of a good match. Those suckers shed more leaves in than a cat has hairs on it's tail. Bad news for pools, yards, streets, sidewalks, etc. If it would not get me a life sentence I would poison every one within sight of my back yard.

Butterfly said:
Too funny! You will fall in love with FTAGH and probably shorten her name to something like "Queenie" :mrgreen:
Queenie! Did you say Queenie? Never again will I submit to another woman, ever! I've survived a blond for decades but am constantly dancing on a minefield with her. No way would a "real man" put a wet hole in his back 40 on a pedestal. :lol:

critterdoc said:
Butterfly said:

Well ya see, Rafiki left us 1.5 years ago. No vet in his right mind is going to easily bond with a Boxer because they tend to die at about 11 years old of cancer, and that is exactly what happened to the best and most loyal friend I ever had. I did not choose him, he chose me. He WAS content, right up until the end. Our time with the big guy was so good that we will probably never have another dog. Even beyond his earthly departure he remains with us and that is all that we need for the foreseeable future.

critterdoc...That is what we felt about our Charlie...he was a cockapoo, jet black when we got him as a pup. He was a trial dog from a shelter...I say trial dog...because my wife wouldn't let us have kids until I could prove I could take care of a dog...The first thing Chuck did when he was just months old was run away. I left the gate open...he attached himself to a lady walking her dog...and she called us when she got home...We were lucky. Charlie became our life long friend and companion...When my son Steven was born a year later, he became every bit Nana from Peter Pan, as you could get...slept under the bassonette, and then later in the hallway outside his room. Never let the kid out of his sight...our daughter Bridgette was born 3 years later...same thing...He never let them go down the stairs until he knew they had stopped running. Then he would step aside and let them go. I often got the feeling he didn't trust us to keep the kids safe.

He was truly the greatest dog in the world. He eventually got congestive heart failure so bad that a year and a half ago we had to put him down. It was the hardest day of our life. A month and a half later we happened across Wrigley Addison (Yes I am a total cub fan,,,the only thing that would get me out of the pool on a Saturday or Sunday was a Cub game). She was at the same shelter we found Charlie at...I saw her first, then my daughter. I really wasn't ready to get a new dog yet, but she was such a lover!!! My son really liked her too, but she really clicked with my wife and daughter. After about an hour of seeing how she reacted to my family...she finally came over and sat in my lap...She was 8 wks old at the time and already weighed about 15 lbs...She is part golden retriever and part Border Collie. We think there is a large amount of Newfie in her as well. He is about 90 lbs now but a bundle of energy and intelligence...but still very gentle and loving. She loves to swim but has not been in the pool yet. She loves other dogs...but most of all she loves us.

I tell you this, because I also felt sorry for any dog that came into our house to replace our chuck. Wrigley hasn't replaced Charlie, but by being the same type of intelligent, loving and watchful dog, she has filled that void in so many different ways...She truly indeared herself to my wife and I when she took up one of her favorite spots in the yard to watch over us while in the pool. That spot just happened to be the very spot where we burried our Charlie...almost as if she was saying it's ok Charlie I am here, and I won't let anything happen. Please don't count out that other dog...You may be surpised!!!

Edited to correct person quoted:Butterfly

cubbybeave08 said:
I tell you this, because I also felt sorry for any dog that came into our house to replace our chuck. Wrigley hasn't replaced Charlie, but by being the same type of intelligent, loving and watchful dog, she has filled that void in so many different ways...She truly indeared herself to my wife and I when she took up one of her favorite spots in the yard to watch over us while in the pool. That spot just happened to be the very spot where we burried our Charlie...almost as if she was saying it's ok Charlie I am here, and I won't let anything happen. Please don't count out that other dog...You may be surpised!!!
Miss B, I've never thought it rational much less possible to replace a gone best friend. Over the years we've had more canine companions than most folks would believe - so many that I had to cease and desist bringing home the sick, infirmed and insane or my wife would put me out on the streets.

There have been a few specials ones, the best of the best so to speak, with Rafiki [a/k/a Bubba] being top dog and Kimisan, the Japanese experiment in genetic dilution who was rescued from the Okinawa dog pound running a close second. Close behind Kimi was Max [a/k/a Maximum Overdrive] our miracle long haired wiener dog who wifey pulled out of our trash can as a near newborn moments before the garbage truck would have "emptied" him out with the trash and squished him to smithereenos; and who "overdrived" through 21 years of life with us. And there are all of the others who to us did not leave voids as much as glowing memories which are a constant reminder of how completely and without reservation man's best friend can love man, even when man is behaving as an abject moron. It's often occurred to me that man's noble best friend is the only one of God's living creations that can natively rise to the level of loving unconditionally.

A number of years ago I came to my senses via a pretty clear cardiovascular slap in the chops and throttled back my practice, eventually releasing every employee. My wife then joined me full time at the office and we now do everything together than I used to do with a large unruly and often unmotivated staff - just less of it and we do it better, I think. That made for long days but it has been well worth the effort and we do not at all miss the relinquish income.

What we do have in the context of your kind and greatly appreciated entreaty that we "not count out that other dog" is an amazing array of best friends who really do seem to enjoy coming to spend time with us as much as we enjoy spending time with them even though the process of entering Critterdoc Country can sometimes generate discomfort. We find ourselves naturally socializing with our furry friends and their people far more than I did in the past, a practice persona that seems to have developed at it's own rate over many years but even more so since my wife, a vintage dog whisperer type, entered the fray. We work/cavort/consort with an array of canines over a period of 8-9 hours M-F and a half day Saturday, then I get to go on a dinner date with Blondie every night, after which it's home to kick back, check the steenking pool since I met you BB freaks, :lol: and put out the lights to recharge for another day of fooling around with fidos, lots of em. For a couple of folks who have lived life like it was going to end tomorrow, raised three kids and rolled over the big six-oh some time ago, I'm not sure that we could do justice to another furball at the homestead, but one never knows where fate will strike next.