Brand new AG just installed, brand new to TFP, a couple of questions?

May 25, 2015
Methuen, MA
Good Morning,

I'm brand new here and to pools care/maintenance in general. I've been through "pool school" on this site and am ready to go. My 21'x52" AG round just went up this weekend. It has been filled (city water) to proper level and I have had the filter running on and off over the last 24 hours. I plan on getting my water tested and all chemicals needed tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any advice, tips, etc for startup of a BRAND NEW pool with new water? Also mulch or stone around base of pool? Thinking mulch will fade and get muddy.

Thanks all!
Tim S.

Welcoem to TFP!!

We would recommend you stay away form the pool store and their less tan stellar testing and control you pool yourself. You will need to pick up one of the recommended test kits. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

For chemicals, WalMartt, Lowes & Home Depot usually have everything you need. Liquid chlorine is sold as bleach at WalMart and you will need some stabilizer, also know as CYA. Most WalMarts have that in the seasonal pool section.

Before you think I'm crazy, read these articles:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Since you stated that you've read through Pool School at least once, do you have one of the recommended test kits ordered?

By "all the chemicals needed", do you mean the pool store variety, or the bleach or liquid chlorine plus muratic acid, and cyanuric acid?

That is generally all we use in our pools.

Best tip I can give you for start up is get some chlorine into that water, asap. A couple of gallons of 8.25% to start with.

For ideas on the base of the pool, check out some of the pictures in the slideshow on the home page.

New pool, new water, new to pool care. Got it. You must buy a recommended test kit if you're going to do TPFC. As pool school says, without proper testing you can't determine what your water needs. You probably need stabilizer (CYA) and plain bleach because it's all new water. You also need to know how much water you have in the pool so you know how much to add.

I'm a converted skeptic. I fought the philosophy of this website for the first two years. It works! Do get a test kit. I always buy the T-100 from TFTestkits, it's never let me down. Do buy your chemicals where they are inexpensive. Ocean State Job Lot is excellent. 12.5% bleach for $2.99 a gallon. I've been using their products for 4 years, never a problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.