CYA question

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Hey -

I've got a new pool (first time pool owner too), opened this year in February. At this point, I've been doing the best I can getting the CYA up. But feel that something isn't quite adding up...

I understand patience is the name of the CYA game: sock-it-up in the skimmer, let it dissolve for about a day or two, then wait for about a week before testing CYA so the reading is accurate. A slow process....

So, in the last four months, I've added a total of 11.5lbs of granular CYA, but I'm still hovering between 40-50ppm on the test. I used pool math in reverse, and it indicates that I should be at about 120ppm based on the amount of CYA added for the gallons I've got. I realize this isn't an ideal method of gauging where I'm at - but it's what's handy!

We've received about 15 inches of rain in the Central Florida area in the four months (average-ish), but that's not necessarily accurate for me at home (rainfall can be hit-or-miss around here). So, the pool is being diluted some.

I'm typically on the lower side of scale for chlorine where I'd prefer to be a little on the higher side, especially since the pool is over 80degrees now. I test regularly but feel like I'm having to make frequent adjustments.

Thanks in advance!

That could be a sign that you are having some extra water replacement that you are not aware of. One way that can happen is a slow leak masked by an auto fill system or by not noticing how much you are topping off the pool.

Another possibility is that your CYA isn't as concentrated as you think it is. This is rare, but we have seen 50% cyanuric acid sold as if it was 100%.

thanks Jason...CYA bag says 98%. it's pinch a penny, suncoast brand, CYA.

No auto fill system - but have an autodrain - not that that matters here.

I haven't topped off since April 2 according to my records, other than the rain we've received.

Is it me? My CYA numbers are consistent going back through my notes...fill to the bottom of the label with water, fill up to top of the label with R0013. Shake. Wait. Shake. Pour until dot is completely obscure.
Good eyesight, perhaps?!:scratch:

Is it me? My CYA numbers are consistent going back through my notes...fill to the bottom of the label with water, fill up to top of the label with R0013. Shake. Wait. Shake. Pour until dot is completely obscure.
Good eyesight, perhaps?!:scratch:
The only addition I have to those instructions is to then pour from the tube back into the mixing bottle and do it again. You can pour back and forth several times to make sure your good eyes are reading it properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.