Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to Shock but drained water..

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to Shock but drained water..

Hey all, let me start by saying BBB kept my pool crystal clear all summer. Thanks!!!

Ok, I already drained my water to 2" below the returns. PB is coming to close next week (I am going to watch and do it myself next year) and my TC is only 1.5ppm. He said I need to get it up to 7-8ppm. I am leary to add the approx 4 gals of bleach needed now that the pump is not running. My plan is to just add to deep end and swirl water around with net.

Thoughts?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to Shock but drained water..

Hi jj,

If it was my pool, I would add one gallon around the perimeter of the pool and then brush the entire pool. Then I would repeat as needed - add one gallon and brush, etc.(3 more times?).

After that, I would brush the entire pool AGAIN! This may seem like overkill to some, but it is just my opinion. Others will chime in soon.

If I remember correctly, you recently had a new liner installed? You do not want to take a chance on any chlorine puddling!

Good luck!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Butterfly, but so long as you can get some motion going in the pool by "stirring" it you should be ok to add the chlorine to the water.

Good Luck !
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

JJ, do you have a sump pump you could hook up to provide circulation? If not Joyce's and Tiz's advice would certainly work

OR, if the plumbing isn't winterized, use the same source of suction you used to drain the pool to restart the pump for circulation - you'll airate the pool with the water below the returns, but you'd have the circulation needed to dose the pool.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

I do have a sump pump.. great idea! What would I do with you all!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the sump pump running.. Looks like it pumps 1260 Gph. Take me a full day to turn over the water.

Pool closing is in 8 days. Should I just keep the pump runninng until then?

7. Back To Top    #7

You dont necessarily have to "turn over" the water just get some circulation in it so when you add your chlorine it mixes well.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!